This practical step-by-step guide shows you everything you need to know about selling or buying foreign rights. Written by an international foreign rights expert, this useful book provides the information you need so your book can be translated or sold into additional English language markets. Aimed at authors, publishers, foreign rights managers, literary agents, and even those aspiring to enter the foreign rights field, Foreign Rights and Wrongs goes beyond just describing the do’s and don’ts of selling or buying rights by providing possible contacts, checklists, worksheets, self-quizzes, and informative examples to facilitate foreign rights success.
In Dr. Jan Yager’s Foreign Rights and Wrongs: Selling or Buying Print or Digital Literary Rights Around the World, you will learn:
- What rights you can sell
- The life of a foreign book deal
- How to help a book “travel” better
- How to more effectively sell foreign rights through your publisher or literary agent
- How to use foreign agents or co-agents to sell foreign rights
- How you can sell directly to international publishers
- How to use major, regional, or key local book fairs to make deals happen
- The submission process and how to make yours stand out so you land more deals
- Key contract considerations
- How to buy rights, including potential funding sources to pay for the book's translation/publication
- What you need to know if you are considering a career in foreign rights
- Contact information and lots more!
Foreign Rights and Wrongs is filled with anecdotes and examples from the author's foreign rights expertise.
About the author: Beginning at 25, when she became Director of Foreign and Subsidiary Rights for Grove Press, and in the decades since then, Jan has successfully sold one of more titles into 34 languages directly to publishers or through her network of foreign co-agents.