65+ Quotes About Love from Much-Loved AuthorsSearching for just the right words to express how you feel about the one you love? We've gathered quotes on love from some of the world's most admired authors to inspire you.
August 3, 2021
While saying "I love you" speaks volumes, there are times when you yearn to express your feelings for a loved one—whether a cherished friend, serious crush, or your soul mate—in a way that's more creative, more eloquent, more memorable...in a word: quotable. For those times, there's no better source to turn to than great authors.
To help you find the perfect love quote for your special someone, we've collected some of most tender, most romantic, and most passionate quotes from some of the world's most-loved authors. How many touching, meaningful, and oh so beautiful ways can you say "I love you"? Here are 65:
Longing to be with your lover so much it hurts? These quotes capture the sweet torment of being madly in love.
1. "I can’t sleep, I can’t eat, I can’t do anything but think about him. At night I dream of him, all day I wait to see him, and when I do see him my heart turns over and I think I will faint with desire." -Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl
7. "If you cannot love me, I will die. Before you came I wanted to die, I have told you many times. It is cruel to have made me want to live only to make my death more bloody." -James Baldwin, Giovanni's Room
8. "Explain my preference! I never had a PREFERENCE for her, any more than I have a preference for breathing. No other woman exists by the side of her. I would rather touch her hand if it were dead, than I would touch any other woman's living." -George Eliot, Middlemarch
Does the mere thought of your lover make your heart beat faster? These quotes reflect the rapture of romance.
12. "He sweeps her hair back from her ears; he swings her above his head. He says she is his émerveillement. He says he will never leave her, not in a million years." -Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See
13. "Her life with others no longer interests him. He wants only her stalking beauty, her theatre of expressions. He wants the minute secret reflection between them, the depth of field minimal, their foreignness intimate like two pages of a closed book." -Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
14. "‘Maybe...you'll fall in love with me all over again. Hell,' I said, 'I love you enough now. What do you want to do? Ruin me? Yes. I want to ruin you. Good,' I said, 'That's what I want too.’"-Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
15. "Is love this misguided need to have you beside me most of the time? Is love this safety I feel in our silences? Is it this belonging, this completeness?" -Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Half of a Yellow Sun
Warm and Wonderful
Does that special someone lift your spirits and fill your life with sunshine? These quotes express the warmth and wonder of love.
26. "All hopes of eternity and all gain from the past he would have given to have her there, to be wrapped warm with him in one blanket, and sleep, only sleep. It seemed the sleep with the woman in his arms was the only necessity." -D.H. Lawrence, Lady Chatterley's Lover
30. "I bet you could sometimes find all the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand." -Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
35. "Why should one not enjoy in a light-hearted sort of way stories of ladies and gentlemen who fall in love and express their feelings for each other, often in most elegant phrases?" -Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day
Destined and Forever Devoted
Do you believe that you and your significant other were meant to be together for eternity? These quotes affirm that sentiment.
38. "If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one." -Michelle Hodkin, The Evolution of Mara Dyer
39. "I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together." -Lisa Kleypas, Blue-Eyed Devil
41. "That the last two letters in her name were the first two in his, a silly thing he never mentioned to her but caused him to believe that they were bound together." -Jhumpa Lahiri, Unaccustomed Earth
45. "I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love." -Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera
46. "What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life—to strengthen each other in all labour, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?" -George Eliot, Adam Bede
48. "I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours." -Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
From outstanding authors, these quotes ponder the meaning of love and its incredible power.
54. "Love lets you find those hidden places in another person, even the ones they didn’t know were there, even the ones they wouldn’t have thought to call beautiful themselves." -Hilary T. Smith, Wild Awake
56. "People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life." -Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
65. "When you make loving others the story of your life, there's never a final chapter, because the legacy continues. You lend your light to one person, and he or she shines it on another and another and another." -Oprah Winfrey, What I Know for Sure