Audible today announced that the Hogwarts Library book The Tales of Beedle the Bard, written by J.K. Rowling, will be available for the first time as a digital audio production on March 31, 2020, and can be pre-ordered exclusively now at audible.com/beedle. This audiobook will also be free for Audible members this year. This project is a collaboration between Pottermore Publishing and Audible.
In this recording, beloved film and stage actors from across the Wizarding World perform individual stories from The Tales of Beedle the Bard in one unforgettable audio entertainment experience, which is also supporting J.K. Rowling’s international children’s charity Lumos*.
We’re told that The Tales of Beedle the Bard has been a bedtime reading favorite in wizarding households for centuries. Full of magic and trickery, these classic tales entertain and instruct, remaining as captivating to young witches and wizards today as they were when Beedle first put quill to parchment in the fifteenth century. Translated from the original runes by Hermione Granger, this collection of stories includes "The Tale of the Three Brothers," familiar to readers of Harry Potter for the crucial role it played in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. These funny and captivating tales are accompanied by explanatory notes from Professor Albus Dumbledore. His illuminating thoughts reveal the stories to be much more than simple moral tales.
Listeners will hear:
- Jude Law (Albus Dumbledore in the Fantastic Beasts film series) reading Albus Dumbledore’s notes
- Warwick Davis (Professor Filius Flitwick in the Harry Potter film series) reading The Wizard and the Hopping Pot
- Noma Dumezweni (Hermione Granger in the original West End and Broadway runs of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child) reading The Tale of the Three Brothers
- Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter film series) reading The Warlock's Hairy Heart
- Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter film series) reading The Fountain of Fair Fortune
- Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley in the Harry Potter film series) reading Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump
- Sally Mortemore (Madame Pince in the Harry Potter film series) reading J.K. Rowling’s introduction
“We are delighted to bring fan favorite performers from across the Wizarding World together for this unforgettable listening experience," said Diana Dapito, SVP of Content at Audible. “Making The Tales of Beedle the Bard available to members continues Audible’s ongoing efforts to deliver accessible, engaging, and immersive audio entertainment to millions of people all over the world.”
The Tales of Beedle the Bard was originally handwritten and illustrated by J.K. Rowling as a limited edition of only seven copies, one of which was sold at auction in 2007 to raise money for charity. It was then published in 2008 and sold in aid of J.K. Rowling’s children’s charity Lumos.
*At least 90% of the proceeds** received by Pottermore Limited from this audiobook will be made available by Pottermore Limited to The Lumos Foundation for their work to help children worldwide out of institutions, so they can thrive in loving families and communities. The Lumos Foundation is a charity registered in England and Wales with registered charity number 1112575.
**Proceeds means the cash-price or cash-equivalent price less sales taxes