Add to Cart failed.
Add to Wish List failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Adding to library failed
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Buy for $21.81
A wonderful collection of short stories" by some of the all-time great American writers.
1. "The Diamond Lens" by Fitz James O’Brien
2. "Titbottom’s Spectacles" by George William Curtis
3. "The Fall of the House of Usher" by Edgar Allan Poe
4. "The Eyes of the Panther" by Ambrose Bierce
5. "The Lightning Rod Man" by Hermann Melville
6. "Seeds" by Sherwood Anderson
7. "Who Was She?" by Bayard Taylor
8. "The Man who stole a Meeting House" by John Townsend Trowbridge
9. "Memoirs of a Yellow Dog" by O. Henry
10. "The Tell-tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe
11. "The Lady or the Tiger" by Frank Stockton
12. "The McWilliamses and the Burglar Alarm" by Mark Twain
13. "William Wilson" by Edgar Allan Poe
14. "The New Englander" by Sherwood Anderson
15. "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin
16. "The Stolen White Elephant" by Mark Twain
17. "The Unknown Quantity" by O. Henry
18. "My Favorite Murder" by Ambrose Bierce
19. "One Thousand Dollars" by O. Henry
20. "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe
21. "The Belated Russian Passport" by Mark Twain
22. "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry
23. "American Sir!" by Mary Raymond Freeman Andrews
24. "Curried Cow" by Ambrose Bierce
25. "An Egyptian Cigarette" by Kate Chopin
What listeners say about The Best American Short StoriesAverage Customer Ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
voice is too rough and raspy.
unfortunately I could not finish. narrator's voice does not work for me. not recommded.
- S. Russell
Difficult to listen to
Would you try another book from the authors and/or Cathy Dobson?
Would you ever listen to anything by the authors again?
Would you be willing to try another one of Cathy Dobson’s performances?
Any additional comments?
I found the narrator difficult to listen to because of her accent. (Maybe others wouldn't have the same problem.) It was also very challenging to choose a story and skip straight to it. The stories themselves don't deserve a low rating, but I did not even finish listening to one and I could not leave the rating blank.
1 person found this helpful
A few good stories and several duds.
As always, Mark Twain rules the day. The other stories don't rise to a memory.