Filled with practical tips and techniques, as well as real-life success stories from Cesar's fans, clients, and his popular television show Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan, this audiobook will help you understand and read your dog's energy as well as your own, so that you can move beyond just correcting behavioral issues and take your connection with your dog to the next level.
The principles of calm-assertive energy will help you become a better pack leader in every area of your life, improving your relationships with friends, family, and coworkers.
In addition, Cesar addresses several important issues for the first time, including what you need to know about the major dog behavior tools available and the difference between "personality" and "instability".
Ultimately, what emerges from Be the Pack Leader are both happier dogs and happier, more centered owners.
©2007 Cesar Milan and Melissa Jo Peltier; (P)2007 Books on Tape
Simply all you need to know to raise a good, obedient dog, and become a better person yourself while at it. I tried and tested it with my puppy, with no prior dog raising experience, and I would recommend anybody do the same. Essential read for new dog owners.
The narration is just perfect for the material: clear, soothing and reassuring.
This book contains very little actual dog training material. Instead it's filled with references to new age-type concepts: balance, energy, whole person. with no real meaning. Cesar M. might be a good dog trainer. No doubt. However based on his TV show and all the books he managed to publish and sell he is really good at hiding his actual dog training methods behind empty content. All of these concepts like "pack leader", structure, alpha dog have been thoroughly discredited by many scientists.
Unfortunately scientists don't have widely marketed and big budget TV shows to promote real discoveries. The result: books like this one. If someone likes pop psychology then this book will definitely fit the bill. Nothing against pop psychology but it has nothing to do with dog training.I'm not even touching his constant use of the word "energy" in so many variations. There is negative energy, positive energy, energy balance.
Even if we take these as metaphors and not something with actual substance it has become a linguistic crutch after the first chapter.
In the chapter about Tycoon (the first case) Cesar M. uses most of the space to describe himself, his feelings, the client, Tycoon's "journey" from a macho to softer person, struggles of the Tycoon's personal assistant, house maid's feeling and body language, private jets, Cesar's LA's training facility, but practically nothing to describe how he actually solved the problem with his client's dogs. I maybe I missed it somehow.
John H. Mayer's narration is actually pretty good.
Exactly what I needed a crash course in dogy styles, breeds, behavior, corrections and real life examples! What a wonderful human being this Cesar.
I like the simplicity of the language, the small histories and the insights on how to improve on taking care of a dog
Recommend it for anyone with a dog or thinking on getting one, plenty of basic knowledge and terms
I especially enjoyed the very end for it told you how to choose a dog and introduced him into your home. A lot of the stuff I had heard him say before because I pretty adamant about keeping up with Cesar.
More than a dog training book. A book that can transform your life. The lessons go way beyond how to get your dog to do basic tricks to insight on who you're being as a human.
I love this book! I will listen over and again!
I liked how organized and well put together the book is
I think the book is perfect the way it is
I wanted to listen all at once but I didn't have the time.
I was actually very disappointed in this book.
I would say about 10% of the book was useful information to teach you how to become a better pack leader. The other 90% was about plugging his TV show or just words to fill a book.
The narrator was very painful to listen to. His voice is so monotonic that I actually needed to shut the book off because it was putting me to sleep while I was driving. I have listened to about 100 audio books and never one have had this issue.
Perhaps the abridged version of the book would be a better choice.
Retired systems analyst; Lover of music, art, travel, technology, birds, Caribbean, scuba; Favorite audiobook genres: mystery, biography, travel, humor, fiction
I liked this book and it was full of good information but was not as entertaining or exciting as the book Caesar read himself. I miss his English and his expression. This book is far removed from his presentation and it makes the delivery dry and less passionate. Too bad.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.