The remarkable story of an ordinary man who was transformed when a traumatic injury left him with an extraordinary gift
No one sees the world as Jason Padgett does. Water pours from the faucet in crystalline patterns, numbers call to mind distinct geometric shapes, and intricate fractal patterns emerge from the movement of tree branches, revealing the intrinsic mathematical designs hidden in the objects around us.
Yet Padgett wasn’t born this way. Twelve years ago, he had never made it past pre-algebra. But a violent mugging forever altered the way his brain works, giving him unique gifts. His ability to understand math and physics skyrocketed, and he developed the astonishing ability to draw the complex geometric shapes he saw everywhere. His stunning, mathematically precise artwork illustrates his intuitive understanding of complex mathematics.
The first documented case of acquired savant syndrome with mathematical synesthesia, Padgett is a medical marvel. Struck by Genius recounts how he overcame huge setbacks and embraced his new mind. Along the way he fell in love, found joy in numbers, and spent plenty of time having his head examined. Like Born on a Blue Day and My Stroke of Insight, his singular story reveals the wondrous potential of the human brain.
©2014 Jason Padgett and Maureen Ann Seaberg (P)2014 Brilliance Audio, all rights reserved.
I love this idea because I love books but I'm a slow reader...
The determination Jason ultimately found. I wasn't aware of synaesthesia, but now I do. I'm glad I listened to this book.
When Jason took the time to understand the guys with Cerebral Palsy.
Jason makes me wish I was good in science.
Somewhere here there is an interesting story, even if mischaracterized by the title. Experiencing the writing is nothing short of painful. 10% of this book contains a loose collection of unstructured poorly phrased content. The other 90% is a raw, stream of consciousness blather with: off topic tangents that suddenly start and just as abruptly end, questionable opinions conflated with fact, irrelevant event minutiae and conversations with customers at his futon store, confusing and heavily qualified metaphor, extensive unnecessary explanation of common concepts coupled with the unexplained use of uncommon concepts, and, a staggering number of sentences somehow completely void of purpose. This "book" could be edited down to short article. In a sentence, Jason appears to be experiencing a kind of permanent mushroom trip, with all the visual, awe, and delusional trappings. If there's any genius here, the lack of editing might reveal a kind of unintended truth. That truth is, brain injury is very serious business, and it's probably more likely to cause the delusion of genius and insight than actual genius or insight.
1.5-2 stars. This book was exceedingly mediocre, verging on sub-par. The book is the memoir (written with the help of an author) of a man who was severely beaten and suffered a traumatic brain injury, as a result of which he became a savant and synesthete. The parts of the book that explained brain function, savant capabilities, and synesthesia were interested, but far too brief and nowhere near detailed enough. The remainder of the book read like an extended catalog of why the author felt he was special, filled with false humility, repetitive passages, and superficial emotion. This may in part be a result of the memoirist's brain injury (which obviously changed his perception and could also hamper ability to read others and communicate clearly), but which resulted in a tortured book that was brimming with self-congratulatory statements, self-proclaimed genius, and very little depth. Not recommended.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.