Unapologetic is a brief, personal, sharp-tongued defence of Christian belief. It isn't an argument that Christianity is true, because how could anyone know that (or indeed its opposite)? It's a book for believers who are fed up with being patronised, for nonbelievers curious about faith in the 21st century, and for anyone who feels there is something indefinably anti-imaginative and intolerant about the way the atheist case is currently being made.
©2012 Francis Spufford (P)2013 W F Howes Ltd
There are no reviews for this title yet.
One of the best audiobooks I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Beautifully read by the author.
I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I bought it. had I listened it 2 or 3 years ago I may have requested my money back. it's been a long hard Road out of Evangelical Fundamentalism, and I'm not exactly sure where I am right now, but this book spoke to me on so many levels.
I agreed deeply with about 95% of what he said, the other 5% being inconsequential to anything. His brutal honesty about the possible non-existence of God. his frequent use bad language. His admitted of his own horrible failure as a husband. It all spoke to me.
I would highly recommend the book if you are thinking of buying it. Of course if you are a committed Fudamentalist the this book will offend you and you will probably not finish it, wondering of the author is even a real Christian.
Rude Vulgar unrefined, self-indulgent, dismissive, angry. Superficially I might object to this book in many ways, and yet, and yet... Personal, heartfelt, experienced, realistic, kind, sympathetic, contemporary, in touch pucca, 'kikin' brilliance - i love it - my faith expressed in words I couldn't have found.
"It spoke to me anyway.."
Just finished listening through the second time
A good sweep of Christian / human experience here..
It has honesty and no nonsense throughout, Francis deals soberly with the real problems and dismisses those that aren’t hooray!
There’s some swearing here but not too much, I personally think it’s essential
Give it a try
If you have given it a try and are stuck in the shoals of theodicies... Hang on! Chapter 5 Yeshua, is a must listen..
"Good book, very well read"
A profound and accessible contemporary approach to Christianity, this book is informal and yet deep, and above all deeply felt. It's also funny in many places, and here and there Spufford succeeds in communicating complex ideas in language and concepts that are easily understood. It's also a great reading - he reads his text with real humour and emotion. I enjoyed this thoroughly, and anticipate I will listen again before too long, and will also probably pick up a copy of the book at some point.
Being read by the author gave a real passion to the book and as a christian myself I could identify with so much in this book. It helped me get a beeter understanding of some of the beleifs I have and made me question, in a good way, why I hold to those beleifs.
His passion in the reading of the book comes through so clearly.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.