The best writers of our generation retell the classics.
Literature is filled with sexy, deadly, and downright twisted tales. In this collection, award-winning and best-selling authors reimagine their favorite classic stories, ones that have inspired, awed, and enraged them; ones that have become ingrained in modern culture; and ones that have been too long overlooked. They take these stories and boil them down to their bones, and then reassemble them for a new generation of listeners.
Today's most acclaimed authors use their own unique styles to rebuild these 12 timeless stories:
- Sir Edmund Spenser's "The Faerie Queene" - Saladin Ahmed
- W. W. Jacobs's "The Monkey's Paw" - Kelley Armstrong
- Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla" - Holly Black
- "Sleeping Beauty" - Neil Gaiman
- The Brothers Grimm's "Rumpelstiltskin" - Kami Garcia
- Kate Chopin's "The Awakening" - Melissa Marr
- Rudyard Kipling's "The Man Who Would Be King" - Garth Nix
- Henry James's "The Jolly Corner" - Tim Pratt
- E. M. Forster's "The Machine Stops" - Carrie Ryan
- Horace Walpole's "The Castle of Otranto" - Margaret Stohl
- William Seabrook's "The Caged White Werewolf of the Saraban" - Gene Wolfe
- Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Birth-Mark" - Rick Yancey