074: Designers, Mind Your Business with Pek Pongpaet
- Oct 19 2020
- Length: 53 mins
Add to Cart failed.
Add to Wish List failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Adding to library failed
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Pek Pongpaet teaches us how to be business-minded designers. He reveals how designers with business knowledge and more tools in their tool belt will get hired more often than ones without and with less. He shows us how to get a seat at the table while challenging us to count the costs of actually having one. He motivates us to measure and quantify our designs. He also inspires us to get out of our comfort zones and talk to other disciplines and become consumers of information in the area(s) we desire growth in.
- Why Should We Listen to Pek? (05:04)
- Why Should Designers Understand Business More? (7:07)
- How Do I Begin to Care More About Business? (11:05)
- How Do I Learn More About the Business Model? Who Do I Talk To? (14:22)
- How Can Designers Influence Product/Business Strategy and Quantify Their Work? (16:52)
- How Do I Know That Something I Designed Achieved Its Business Goal? (20:18)
- What Do You Look For In a Designer When Hiring? (24:50)
- Why You Should be Best Friends with Your Analytics Person/Team (26:20)
- How Can Designers do a Better Job Communicating the Business Value of Design to Non-Believing Stakeholders? (30:21)
- How Does a Designer Get a Seat at the Round Table? (33:29)
- What's Your Best Advice for Designers Wanting to Grow in Business Side of Design? (40:45)
- Best Way to Connect and Keep Up? (45:45)
Check out the detailed show notes including mentioned links, transcript and Cesar Lemus’s astonishing superhero artwork at userdefenders.com/074
This episode is made possible by WhiteHatJunior.com: the world’s best one on one coding classes for kids between the ages of 6 and 14. WhiteHatJunior's unique teaching methodology makes it easy to absorb tough concepts because the teacher is able to focus completely on one student. Give it a shot: go to userdefenders.com/whj to book a free coding class to see for yourself just how easy it is for your child to learn coding!
What listeners say about 074: Designers, Mind Your Business with Pek PongpaetAverage Customer Ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Amazon Customer
Wonderful Insights into User Experience
Great guest. Great show. Well done. Packed with helpful information related to all things UX/UI. This particular episode provides some much needed perspective on the business side of things. Reminds me there are many musicians who want to be freed up to make music. They don't want to have to manage the business side of things too. But learning to speak the language of business and measuring results, will put you ahead of those who resist it. And you'll be much more likely to find a seat at the table.