Add to Cart failed.
Add to Wish List failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Adding to library failed
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Buy for $6.95
So you've learned the basics in German class. You know how to say, "Wie geht es dir?" or “Wo ist die Toilette?” or “Wie alt sind Sie?”, but how do you take it to the next level?
Discover one of the most important yet often one of the most overlooked aspects of a language: idioms and popular phrases in common use. Think about how in English, so much of what we say is full of expressions and figures of speech and idioms.
We say things like: “dime a dozen”, or “beat around the bush”, “cutting corners”, “speak of the devil”, etc. Plus, there is so much slang and so many phrases in popular use, especially with young people: “To have a crush on someone”, “I'm all set”, “I'm down for that”, etc. Plus there are so many slang words we use that have other meanings in popular use like: “cool” or “sick” or “lame”, etc. This is the same if not even more common in the German language.
If you want to be able to understand people and speak comfortably, you will find it almost impossible without a healthy knowledge of popular idioms, words, and phrases used by native German speakers.
This audiobook will teach you 101 of the most popular German idioms and phrases that take you far beyond the basics you may have learned in school.
You will learn:
- The English and German version of the idiom/phrase
- The explanation of how to use this idiom or phrase in common speech and when an appropriate time to use it is
- Examples of casual dialogue in both German and English to show you the context of how this phrase is used
- You can practice repeating each phrase to help commit it to memory and work through the pronunciation
Unlock an entire new level of ability and gain the street knowledge and confidence to have real conversations in German.
More from the same
- Beyond the Basics: 200 Essential Intermediate Spanish Phrases for Fluent Conversation: Phrases, Figures of Speech, & Idioms to Help Increase Your Comprehension. With Dialogues & Practice Sections
- The Big Book of Spanish Phrases: Over 300 Essentials Phrases
- 101 Italian Phrases You Won't Learn in School
What listeners say about 101 German Phrases You Won't Learn in SchoolAverage Customer Ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Alan Paul
Cheap and cheerful
It's not great, you get some words that are spoken but the text doesn't correspond to.
The plus point is you get lots of phrases that are less formal, so you would not stick out so much using them.
Is it worth it? Yes, as long as you don't spend much.
- Christopher C
Good phrases but......
I enjoyed the phrases but I found the narrator distracting with speaking German in an American accent. It would have been better if a native speaker was doing the talking