- helpful votes
- A Memoir
- By: Joy Harjo
- Narrated by: Joy Harjo
- Length: 4 hrs and 6 mins
In this transcendent memoir, grounded in tribal myth and ancestry, music and poetry, Joy Harjo, one of our leading Native American voices, details her journey to becoming a poet. Born in Oklahoma, Harjo grew up learning to dodge an abusive stepfather by finding shelter in her imagination, a deep spiritual life, and connection with the natural world. She attended an Indian arts boarding school, where she nourished an appreciation for painting, music, and poetry; gave birth while still a teenager; and struggled on her own as a single mother, eventually finding her poetic voice.
- By Hazel Bergtholdt on 03-08-19
I was deeply moved. My heart swelled, then ached, then soothed and my knowing was birthed, then grew, expanded and swelled and filled my soul. Brilliant!
More Bedtime Stories for Cynics
- By: Kirsten Kearse, Gretchen Enders, Aparna Nancherla, and others
- Narrated by: Nick Offerman, Patrick Stewart, Alia Shawkat, and others
- Length: 3 hrs and 25 mins
- Original Recording
Make sure the kids aren’t around! Just because you’re a grown-up doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the art of the children’s bedtime story. Nick Offerman presents this collection of 12 short stories written in the style of a classic kids' tale, but with a decidedly dark and adult approach. What really happened after Snow White died, from the perspective of the one medically trained dwarf? A naive wizard professor reports back from the trenches of an underprivileged school of magic. And much more!
Probably not for everyone
- By Katie on 05-03-19
- More Bedtime Stories for Cynics
- By: Kirsten Kearse, Gretchen Enders, Aparna Nancherla, Cirocco Dunlap, Dave Hill
- Narrated by: Nick Offerman, Patrick Stewart, Alia Shawkat, Ellen Page, Jane Lynch, John Waters, Anjelica Huston, Wendell Pierce, Mike Birbiglia, Rachel Dratch, Matt Walsh, Nicole Byer, Harry Goaz, Aisling Bea, Gary Anthony Williams
funny, but narrator sucked
some made me guffaw out loud, but some stories inane and silly. lots of cursing not funny
0 of 1 people found this review helpful