LISTENER

C. Cadaver

portland
  • 1
  • review
  • 2
  • helpful votes
  • 63
  • ratings
  • Journey to the End of the Night

  • By: Louis-Ferdinand Celine
  • Narrated by: David Colacci
  • Length: 19 hrs and 35 mins
  • Unabridged
  • Overall
    4.5 out of 5 stars 120
  • Performance
    4.5 out of 5 stars 113
  • Story
    4.5 out of 5 stars 114

Louis-Ferdinand Celine's revulsion and anger at what he considered the idiocy and hypocrisy of society explodes from nearly every minute of this novel. Filled with slang and obscenities and written in raw, colloquial language, Journey to the End of the Night is a literary symphony of violence, cruelty, and obscene nihilism. This book shocked most critics when it was first published in France in 1932, but quickly became a success with the public in Europe, and later in America.

  • 5 out of 5 stars
  • My first Celine

  • By mike holt on 05-15-17

I've never been so bored

Overall
1 out of 5 stars
Performance
5 out of 5 stars
Story
1 out of 5 stars

Reviewed: 09-08-18

This book is about 10% paper thin, meandering plot. The other 90% is musings on life and love from an author who isn't nearly as clever and insightful as he thinks he is.

2 of 3 people found this review helpful