First off let me state that im a huge Sanderson Fan. However id rate this book 3.5 stars if amazon let me. Its definitely not 4 stars soo i went with 3 stars and heres why:
- This book is simply too long. Theres no other way around it. I dont mind long books at all but it seems Sanderson is forcing these books to be long just so they can go along with his "masterpiece" narritive that he wants the stormlight archive to be. But, by adding meaningless chapters and slow dialog, he's actually hurting the series. This book could have easily been 300-400 pages shorter. I'm really OCD about not missing any information so i can be a know-it-all about any story i read but this book almost made me start skipping pages. Instead, i set it down for a couple of months and came back and powered through the rough parts. There are parts of Shallans story that are just SOOOOOO boring that it gets dreadful to read through. Shes a great character, dont get me wrong, but 75% of her story could have been cut out and summarized in this book. Thats including 90% of her flashback story.
- The dialog. Lets be honest, Sandersons dialog isnt his strong suit. This book just so happens to be filled with 100's of pages of pointless dialog of characters saying totally childish lines and simply not reacting like adults. Not to mention the "wit" of the witty characters just isnt there. There are definitely exceptions as there are pieces of dialog i do enjoy but for the most part its pretty weak.
- Sanderson has an epic story on his hands and it seems he has it well laid out and planned. Kaladin, Dalinar and Shallan are great characters and when this book heats up, it gets REALLY good. And while there may be a lot of bloat in this book, its not all in the same place so you get interesting parts throughout the book if you make it through to couple hundred pages of filler first.
- The magic system is great which is definitely Sanderson's strong suit.
- Another strong suit of Sanderson is his ability to push these books out in a timely manner. Im all in on the Stormlight Archive as long as he doesnt pull a Rothufuss or GRRM on us.
Overall i'd give this book 3.5 stars out of 5. I wish Sanderson would look at some of the many reviews like mine and take note. I have a feeling this series doesnt need to be anywhere near 10 books. I also have a feeling that Sanderson is going to force this series into 10 books by adding tons of filler instead of letting it freely flow into however many books it needs to be.