An insightful guide that shows how habits of behavior are formed, and how we can transform bad habits into positive behaviors in ourselves and others. Smart Change explores the psychological mechanisms that form and maintain habits in individuals and groups and offers real, accessible and actionable advice for changing habits. In an engaging narrative, Markman covers a wide range of habits, from individual behaviors like eating better and exercising regularly to work-related behaviors such as learning effectively and influencing customers’ purchases.
He proposes that there are five effective tools to help individuals change behavior and to help people influence the habits of the people around them:
1. Tame the “Go” system: Identify the triggers of habits, replace old behaviors with new ones and generate specific plans to deal with obstacles.
2. Harness the “Stop” system: Learn to deal with stress and other factors that hinder the development of new and positive habits.
3. Optimize your goals. Determine the course of behavior change and how to successfully incorporate those changes for the long term.
4. Manage your environment: Change your surroundings to dramatically reduce poor behavior and habits.
5. Engage your Neighbors: To affect other people’s behavior, understand the shared culture that creates a mutual dependency, and allows neighbors and colleagues to have a profound positive influence on the behavior of other members of their community.
©2014 Art Markman PhD (P)2014 Gildan Media LLC
I loved Art's other title "Smart Thinking", but was a little reluctant to go in on this book. I have several other books on this topic and the reviews I read didn't imply that there would be much in the way of new information. I was wrong!
This book does a great job using simple and concrete language as a means to highlight the the process of habit disruption and formation. Further, he wraps this process around an easily remembered framework of "why" that doesn't get lost in the minutia of experimental data.
After reading this book, I was struck with the notion that Mr. Markman also has the ability to adapt his writing style to incorporate the principles he teaches. Said another way, Mr. Markman has turned me into a Smart Thinker with a new habit of reading his books.
There are no listener reviews for this title yet.
Report Inappropriate Content