The final five volumes from the landmark BBC radio series This Sceptred Isle.
Christopher Lee's epic history tells the story of Britain from the Romans to the death of Victoria. This collection includes the original volumes 6-10:
- '1702-1760: The First British Empire; the reign of George I; Britain's first Prime Minister, Robert Walpole; and the first rendition of 'Rule Britannia'.
- 1760-1792: The Age of Revolution; the Industrial Revolution begins; America declares independence; France is rocked by social and political upheaval.
- 1792-1815: Nelson, Wellington and Napoleon war in Europe; the introduction of income tax; England is victorious in the Battle of Trafalgar.
- 1815-1837: regency and reform; the Prince of Wales becomes George IV; Sir Robert Peel creates the Metropolitan Police; slavery is abolished in the British Empire.
- 1837-1901: the age of Victoria Victoria's 64-year reign encompasses huge social changes; Britain expands her empire; the Labour Party is founded.
Narrated by Anna Massey, with extracts from Sir Winston Churchill's A History of the English-Speaking Peoples read by Peter Jeffrey, this is the definitive radio account of the events and personalities that have shaped our nation.
©2016 Winston Churchill and Christopher Lee (P)2016 BBC Worldwide Limited