Now the Internet has eliminated the barriers of geography, cost, and time. All those blogs and social networking sites are helping existing tribes get bigger. But more important, they're enabling countless new tribes to be born - groups of ten or ten thousand or ten million who care about their iPhones, or a political campaign, or a new way to fight global warming.
And so the key question: Who is going to lead us?
The Web can do amazing things, but it can't provide leadership. That still has to come from individuals - people just like you who have a passion about something. The explosion in tribes means that anyone who wants to make a difference now has the tools at her fingertips.
If you think leadership is for other people, think again - leaders come in surprising packages. Consider Joel Spolsky and his international tribe of scary-smart software engineers. Or Gary Vaynerhuck, a wine expert with a devoted following of enthusiasts. Chris Sharma leads a tribe of rock climbers up impossible cliff faces, while Mich Mathews, a VP at Microsoft, runs her internal tribe of marketers from her cube in Seattle. All they have in common is the desire to change things, the ability to connect a tribe, and the willingness to lead.
If you ignore this opportunity, you risk turning into a "sheepwalker" - someone who fights to protect the status quo at all costs, never asking if obedience is doing you (or your organization) any good. Sheepwalkers don't do very well these days.
Tribes will make you think (really think) about the opportunities in leading your fellow employees, customers, investors, believers, hobbyists, or readers....It's not easy, but it's easier than you think.
©2008 Do You Zoom, Inc.; (P)2008 Audible, Inc.
I spent an hour waiting for analysis or support to come along. None came. Its as if Seth was just some guy at the lunch table ranting about his idea on Tribes. Worst part is that instead of his ideas being engaging, they are repetitive and boring.
Irritating/Frustrating would be the best words to describe this book. The thesis makes sense, Seth Godin just doesn't defend or support the idea in depth. The delivery of the content does not help at all. It is as if Godin is trying to sell the listener on the ideas the whole time like the ideas are a used car. I would much prefer if Godin had laid out a logical, detailed idea. Instead, Tribes comes up lacking. This is the first book that I had to stop listening to because it was just so terrible.
It was like he was hard selling the content the entire time.
First book I have stopped listening to because it was so bad.
Enjoy this book then go and change the world. Don't let the bastards get you down! Thanks Seth, we really enjoy your vision.
After listening to the entire book, I still have no idea what Seth was even trying to say. He seems to think that he's onto some big secret that will make you a "heretic" if you start acting in it, but 90% of the book was just fluff taking about how heretical you'll be, and there wasn't anything worth writing about in the other 10%. Some stuff about being a leader, as in you should do it. Duh.
I wanted to like it. Seth personally recommended it to me after I emailed him asking for advice, and I have to assume it was just to sell one more book because it did not answer my question.
On second thought, I've been thinking about doing a little writing myself. Now I feel more confident, because I know I could write something better than this. Maybe that's why he recommended it. Thanks, Seth! Nice guy.
I like his voice, thus three stars.
I had a hard time getting through this audiobook because I kept pausing it to take notes!! Brilliant AHA moments at every turn. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that sees a need and wants to fill it.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.