On a getaway to the City by the Bay, book collector Jordan Bingham becomes entangled in a mystery with more twists than Lombard Street.
Jordan has been able to swing a romantic trip with Officer Tyler "Smiley" Dekker on one condition - she must return with a rare copy of Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest for her irascible employer, Vera Van Alst. For his own part, Smiley is full of surprises. He's a Dashiell devotee himself - excited to be in the city of Hammett's hard-boiled heroes like Sam Spade and the Continental Op - and also announces he plans to visit his previously unmentioned estranged grandmother, who lives in an old Victorian on Telegraph Hill. But the trip goes downhill fast when Jordan is pushed from a cable car and barely escapes death. And when a dark sedan tries to run the couple down, it's clear someone's after them - but who? Just like in Hammett's world, nothing is quite what it seems.
©2016 Berkley Publishing Group (P)2016 Tantor
I'm a huge fan of mysteries and thrillers and love listening to them via Audible.
I didn't want to stop listening. I missed Vera and the uncles but loved the intrigue in this book. Can't wait for the next one.
A lover of cozy mysteries, contemporary romance and getting lost in the world of audiobooks
Things I loved:
1. Gram! She was an absolute delight and joy, and I loved her character addition.
2. The chapter titles "Kelly rules.." were all aptly named & a funny play on the not so legal side of the Kelly family
3. It was fun to see Jordan & officer Smiley in a new city, with new characters & tackling adventures
What I didn't like
1. Vera & The Senora were absent the entire book (short of a quick moment in the beginning.) I missed them both & their lavish meals together. Also, none of the uncles make an appearance aside from Kev.
2. Jordan does some careless stuff & can be pretty infuriating at times. I wanted to yell into my phone at her a few times (ha). A bit non believable.
Overall it was good but different... Not what I expected but it's flaws were made up with some fun new characters like Gram. Still a great listen!
Waited a long time for the next one. Some of the net resting developments with characters but very little of the uncle, the cats, the dots, the cook, the bosslady and above all the book takes a back seat to everything. Still worth reading but be aware that some of your favourite elements may be missing.
Report Inappropriate Content