This is the third volume in Churchill's famous account. During the long period of 1688 to 1815, three revolutions took place, and all led to war between the British and the French.
Don't miss the rest of the titles in this great series!
© and (P)2014 Audible, Inc.
Churchill had an amazing grasp of history, and his research is thorough. It is surprising that in view of his busy and intensive political life, that he found the time to write such a detailed account of the various revolutions that took place between 1688 and 1815. His description of the American war of Independence is covered objectively and in great detail, exposing the failings of the British to subdue the colonists.
Churchill has an excellent grasp of language which flows and is easy to listen to. He brings the battles alive with his rhetoric,transferring you to the scene and making you feel involved in it. Christian Rodska reads with clarity and expressiveness that make listening enjoyable
• Covers the Spain/War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years War well
• The covering of the French Revolution and Napoleonic wars had its ups and downs but did hit all of the main events
• At times it was difficult to listen to (flowery language obscured the meaning of what the writer was trying to convey)
• Too much time seemed to be spent on politics in England
• Too much time spent on minute details of events like the wars rather than summarize the main conclusions or how certain details related to the greater picture
• Was expecting it to be more focused on England than other countries
• Was left with a sense that the general progression of English society to a modern state was not covered or at least not summarized
The narrator is clear and the history is told in an easily understood, straightforward manner. Often times an historian gets sidetracked, but not Churchill. Also, its fascinating to hear the history of the American Revolutionary War from the English perspective
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.