Longtime Alaskan resident Richard Parry deftly weaves historical fact with fiction throughout this exciting western. With his expert performance, narrator Ed Sala captures the proud, uncompromising spirit of the men and women who tamed the Alaskan frontier.
©2006 Richard Parry; (P)2006 Recorded Books LLC
Very disappointing. The book description gave me high expectations for an Alaskan adventure. After dwelling on an adulterous affair between one of the main characters and the outpost owner's wife, then a brutal rape in South America, and then a tiring dialog between the two main characters I knew this was not what I was expecting. I gave up after 5 hours.
Retired to mountains of California. Sell on eBay as Prsilla. No TV. Volunteer in wildlife rehab. Knit, sew or embroider while listening.
1. This is Book Two of a projected series. Nobody told me to listen to The Winter Wolf first.
2. This is not very good writing. It lost my respect early on when a chaste lady from the hoopskirt era -- and in chilly weather -- follows an interesting young man into a lake in the wilderness of Alaska! This might be Parry's idea of a neat story, but not mine.
3. Ruth Ann Phimister is probably not the narrator, as the narrator I heard is definitely a man! Ruth Ann has a soft, rich, very womanly voice. She could certainly sound like a rough man, but to narrate the whole thing as a rough man doesn't make sense!
4. Wyatt Earp's article in Wikipedia is better than this story! Evidently one of Earp's common-law wives was a Blaylock, and she was the mother of the young man in this story.
5. AUDIBLE'S MARKETING DOES NO GOOD IF PEOPLE ARE STEERED TOWARD UNSUITABLE BOOKS. According to Pubglisher's Weekly, this is a "formula western". I have already been wrongly steered to a kids' book and sappy Christian romance. Not good!
6. I tried to learn something about the author, but met up mainly with Richard Lloyd Parry, not the same person at all, tho this Parry seems to be riding in his windstream.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.