When we first meet him, Chappie is a punked-out teenager living with his mother and abusive stepfather in an upstate New York trailer park. During this time, he slips into drugs and petty crime. Rejected by his parents, out of school and in trouble with the police, he claims for himself a new identity as a permanent outsider; he gets a crossed-bones tattoo on his arm, and takes the name "Bone."
He finds dangerous refuge with a group of biker-thieves, and then hides in the boarded-up summer house of a professor and his wife. He finally settles in an abandoned schoolbus with Rose, a child he rescues from a fast-talking pedophile. There Bone meets I-Man, an exiled Rastafarian, and together they begin a second adventure that takes the reader from Middle America to the ganja-growing mountains of Jamaica. It is an amazing journey of self-discovery through a world of magic, violence, betrayal and redemption.
©1995 Russell Banks (P)2013 HarperCollinsPublishers
1. The way the "kid" thinks is so age realistic along the way
2. The narrator was crucial to the character. I'll never hear anyone else when I pick up the printed version but Kirby Heyborne.
3. The ending was appropriate, satisfying, but not predictable.
4. I didn't expect much at first. In fact, I thought it was going to be another teen novel written at a teen level. But if you're a teen, you'll get it. And if you're past your teen years, you'll be reminded what the world looked like when you were still trying to make sense of it all.
5. I fell in love with each character for their own qualities, even the f'd up ones.
The narrator as Bone.
The hostage fire scene.
No. There's a lot to enjoy and process through. It's fascinating enough to sit through if one wanted. But that'd be like eating a whole cheesecake just to finish it off. I recommend enjoying the morsels fully before taking the next bite.
Narrator was fantastic. Excellent "voices" that were unique and believable. And so varied!!!
Definitely a talented "dude." ;)
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.