I just want a taste of you. Or a touch. My fantasies about you plague my every waking hour. My only comfort is imagining that similar fantasies might obsess you too. When young librarian Gwendolynne Price starts finding increasingly erotic love notes to her in the suggestion box at work, she finds them both shocking and liberating. But who is her mystery admirer and how long will he be content to just admire her from afar...?
©2008 Portia Da Costa (P)2012 Random House Audiobooks
This was soooooo sexy. I couldn't bring myself to turn it off. A credit well spent, truly.
Gwendolynn Price is a 30 year old librarian who is recently divorced and describes herself as curvy and just a little overweight - I would liken her to Bridget Jones.
In the libraries suggestion box Gwendolynn receives an erotic and passionate letter from an admirer named only as Nemasis. From what is written in the letter she realises that the author is a person she sees in the library everyday. To go any further would tell too much but I will only say that it you need something to brighten your day and steam your senses - this book is a great choice.
Gwendolynn has an extremely quirky sense of humor and as the book is written mainly in the first person it is a very funny read. Yes it does have some crude language and very adult themes but it is also sensual and romantic.
The narration by Imogen Church is amazing - her accent suits the characters so well. A delight to listen to.
Say something about yourself!
Okay I am torn here, sometimes I loved this book, sometimes I really didn't like it.
Things I didn't like:
1. British slang that I just didn't get. I have read books in the past with British slang and I got over it but this book just didn't have enough to get me past it.
2. Over half of the steamy scenes in the book were in fantasy form, meaning they didn't really happen it was just the female lead thinking/daydreaming/trying for a steamy scene.
3. Due to the shortness of the book and combined with the vivid fantasies the chemistry between the characters fell a bit flat.
4. I felt like I got 25% of the story in the first 6 hours and 75% in the last 2 hours....so it dragged a bit and then the ending was rushed, which was disappointing.
Things I really liked:
1. The narrator really pulled the book off, so often with a female British narrator I am reminded of Mary Poppins or Angela Landsbury and the steamy scenes become creepy to me, but this lady was good.
2. The steamy scenes were graphic without being crude, major plus there!
3. The idea behind the book was original, could a secret admirer be the guy you are crushing on? And if he was could that up the fun of dating?
4. The female lead was a size 16, she was not a wafer thin model type and she made it work for her!
All in all I was disappointed and know this book could have gone better, but it wasn't a total waste. Not worth a credit, but if it makes it into the $4.95 sale go for it!
The performance from Imogen Church was incredible! She reads so well you think you are at a movie watching the story unfold. The book was interesting, characters very likeable, I could actually see this story being played out in non-fiction. The writing was hot and erotic w/out being gross, predictable, unrealistic or stupid (as some erotic scenes can get). There was humor in Guendolen's first party thoughts that she frequently shared, created a little suspense all while the writing created vivid depictions of the story.
I listened to this book by myself first and liked it so much I thought my wife would like to hear it as well. So I listened again with her while recently driving on a trip. She enjoyed it and I equally enjoyed it the second time as well.
I really love this book for so many reasons. Gwendolynne is fun, spunky and grabs on to life (and love) with both hands. And the book is of course very sexy and sensous. The narrator is doing a superb job and I sincerely hope Audible will publish more of Portia Da Costas books!
No spoilers! Love HOT, sexy books w/a plot. No vampires, paranormal, teens 4 me. I also review in exchange for books-lots of fun surprises!
I enjoyed it a lot...would love more by this author
Delightful - brought chacters to life
Everything such a good example of erotica that melts you.
The first letter in the suggestion box being g read by the performer.
No I haven't but I will now
Yes I found myself of ignoring housework frequently because of it.
Please turn more of your books into this format and have imogen read them!!
"Not my cup of tea"
This is a romance novel and had little to do with any power plays it's a bad copy of Fifty Shades it amazes me how with most of these the girl saves the man from him self or the Man has some deep dark secret that he is hiding from her. it does not make me want to listen to any more of Portia Da Costa books (just a thought why do all these guys have magnificent penises shows little imagination)
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.