Thomas Bulfinch, as one reviewer put it, "Created an anthology of mythology." This audiobook contains the first 14 chapters of The Age of Fable, the first of three volumes, comprising Bulfinch's complete work. The Age of Fable recounts stories of Greek Gods, Demigods and the best known characters in mythology. In our times, many references are made to these stories and characters in the arts, especially in the fine arts, theatre, and literature.
The stories include:
2. Prometheus and Pandora
3. Apollo and Daphne, Pyramus and Thisbe, Cephalus and Procris
4. Juno and Her Rivals, Io and Callisto, Diana and Actaeon, Latona and the Rustics
6. Midas, Baucis and Philemon
7. Proserpine, Glaucus and Scylla
8. Pygmalion, Dryope, Venus and Adonis, Apollo and Hyacinthus
9. Ceyx and Halcyone (The Halcyon Birds)
10. Vertumnus and Pomona
11. Cupid and Psyche
12. Cadmus, The Myrmidons
13. Nisus and Scylla, Echo and Narcissus, Clytie, Hero and Leander
14. Minerva, Niobe
Thomas Bulfinch (1796 – 1867), was both an author and a banker. Born in Newton, Massachusetts, Bulfinch was the son of an architect who help create the US Capitol building in Washington. Best known for Bulfinch's Mythology, a posthumous collection of his many works popularizing mythology, Bulfinch's style was known for "Extending the enjoyment of elegant literature."
Public Domain (P)2007 Alcazar AudioWorks
There are no listener reviews for this title yet.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.