©2004 The Blanchard Family Partnership and T. Mark Miller; (P)2004 HighBridge Company
If you are moving into a new leadership role or need a refresher course to improve your skills, this book is for you. Written as a story, it is very easy to listen to. The concepts are simple but effective.
The Secret, is a really good book that talks about the secret of great leadership in some easy to follow steps and, with a simple change in philosophy (taking on a servitude attitude) is something that we all can and should develop.
Author, Ken Blanchard breaks down his Secret approach to leadership in these simple steps.
S = seeing the vision
- Leaders need to have a vision of where they’re going, how they’re going to get there and how effectively they can communicate the vision to the team
E = engaging and empowering the team
- Blanchard talks about how we can and should “engage the hearts… and not the hands/skills” of our teams that we work with. Also, we need to empower people to do and be the best they can be
R = reinventing yourself
- It I important to reinvent yourself and “refresh” your approach to how you operate your business and treat your team. Things change, and it’s important for all of us to keep up with the changes
V = Valuing your relationships
- Relationships are key. They are to be cherished and valued at the highest level. Again, things and people (their situations and needs) are always changing, so if you have a meaningful relationship with the team members, then you’ll be able to bring added value to your team and team member.
E = embodying your values
- Be clear about what your values are and if the team is living up to it. Take the time from time to time in updating team/business/relationship values as new members come onboard, dynamics change of you as a leader change
I thought that this book really helped clarify why us purposeful leaders do what we do. I’m glad that I was able to read it and learn so much about what more that I can do in order to continue trying to be the best leader that I can be.
I recently interviewed a group of students looking for their first real position in the business world. To the question: "Describe for me your ideal work envirorment?" They all answered in the same basic way - I want to work for a leader that values me and my contributions. I want to work in an enviroment that expects results and values its team members. This book will give leaders a vision on how to do, what staff want of their leaders, and get great results for their Company!
I feel this book is very useful, because the principles can be applied in any kind of position, whether it be at work, in the community, church or home. The story kept my interest and taught me valuable skills. Great book!
The story approach to teaching the principles of this book is a fabulous way to help people both understand and apply the information. This would be a great book to share with your team
I like the stories overall message but I have grown tiered of the method of delivery.
I would much rather the author share his wisdom directly with me rather than telling me a 3rd person story.
Some good sound advice.
Joy to the ear and heart. While listening to the Secret, I began to understand what is 'leadership'. And the narrator did such a good job.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.