Richard Koch is a highly successful entrepreneur and investor. His 80/20 Principle - that 80 per cent of results flow from just 20 per cent of the causes - is the one true principle of highly effective people and organizations.
In one of the decade's most original, provocative and powerful books, The 80/20 Principle shows how you can achieve much more with much less effort, time and resources, simply by concentrating on the all-important 20 per cent.
Astonishingly, though the 80/20 Principle has greatly influenced today's world, this is the first book which shows you how to use it in a systematic and practical way.
©1997 Richard Koch; (P)2007 Bolinda Publishing Pty Ltd.
"Through multiple examples, and a punchy down-to-earth commentary, Koch offers the first really useful advice weâ¿¿ve seen in a management book for years." (Business Age)
The topic is highly relevant, however the narrator is extremely tiresome to listen to, and it feels like it is a never ending listing of various examples of the 80/20 rule. I doubt that I will be able to listen through the entire book. I wish I got this as a normal paper book so I could flick through the pages instead.
Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls. - Joseph Campbell -
The idea of the book is worthy, but much too long explained and with a lot of hours without anything to do with Pareto principle. The narrator is quite to listen. Anyway, I think it deserves the time and money.
This book is terrible. The entire thesis of the book can be stated in a paragraph, and yet somehow the author has managed to stretch it out into an entire book without providing any further insight.
First, I've learned nothing in this book. The principles that are describe are so obvious that I wonder why somebody wrote a book about it.
Second, let's say some people don't think those principles are obvious and needs further explanation, I'm convince it could be explained in detail in a maximum of 1 or 2 pages.
Because I do believe the 80/20 principles is important to apply, I would recommend not loosing 80% of your time to gain merely 20% of knowledge. To prevent this, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.
Richard Koch's 80/20 Principle inspires the listener to cut out the meaningless waste of time, energy and activity in their life.
The narration, however, suffers from a rather irritating little problem. Narrator Richard Aspel's rendering of straight text is quite good. Unfortunately, Aspel makes caricatures of the numerous quotations that pepper the book, to the point of distraction, especially after the first listen, when one endeavors to study the material in depth.
I have listen to this book already two times. And I get a full load of information every time.
I love the business mentality that the 80/20 Principle suggest. Lazy but smart is definitely in.
It is a must have book or audio book if you are in business.
I forced myself to listen to an hour but couldn't stomach more. It seemed like simple platitudes strung together to sell a book. No substance. I'm not familiar with the author, but after listening to this first bit I have no interest in whatever else this person put forward.
Get used to hearing the term 80/20. You will hear it 80% too much. 80% of the references to the 80/20 rule could of been written only 20 percent of the time with better results. 20 percent were of use the other 80 percent were merely annoying and repetitive. 80percent of this book suck 20 percent is merely sub par. 80 percent of this book was filler for the other 20 percent. This entire book will drivel on like this 80 percent of the time the remaining 20 percent will continually refer to the 80 percent, If you are getting annoyed by my review I confirm 80 percent plus 20 percent s 100 percent that you too will hate this boo and regret buying it at least 80 percent of the time.
"An excellent book...worth repeat listens"
I enjoyed the book immensely, and have returned to it often. But once I knew an audiobook version existed, I knew it made sense and that I had to have it. My MP3 player is more portable, and ironically takes up less than 20% of the space of the actual physical book, which I have since gifted to a friend. I now have Koch in my pocket to remind me to stop wasting time and effort. I would have preferred the author to have done the narration though, as I prefer to hear a story from the horse's mouth. Nevertheless, the philosophy of the book benefits from repeated listening. Some have argued that his philosophy could have been summarised in less than 20% of his book, a point I initially thought myself. But this criticism is acknowledged and addressed in the book itself. The point is not to eliminate 80% of everything, but to eliminate the majority of things you do not enjoy or that do not add value, and to multiply what does add joy or value. If you enjoy the ride, you should want the journey to last longer. I have wasted far more time on books and movies I did not enjoy and added nothing to my life. I would argue this philosophy is worth repeating, as becoming bogged down by trivial matters seems to be a deep human flaw. Merely flicking through the book or reading a summary would not likely yield results, or change your life, as it has mine. There are people who need to be smacked round the head with this book repeatedly. You know them. You've met them. They are those who watch mindless movies, trashy books, play point and click mini-games on Facebook for hours on end, etc. This book has made me constantly reassess my life and make massive changes. Sometimes the viewpoints are subtle. Sometimes they are blunt, even harsh. I have lost friends over this book. But all that showed was how weak those connections were in the first place. I have found a life/work balance as never before. Strongly recommended.
If you read the title of this book you already know the contents. Those words recur again and again. Save your money for something less toe-curling.
"For the time poor"
This book puts meat on an expression I have heard many say but never implement It repeats the same idea but this worked for me in driving home the basic idea of the book. I now find myself seeing the 80/20 principle in action all over the place. A new window on the world.
"A good principle, but too much repetition"
Using the theme of the book, I have to say that 80% of the content could have been covered in 20% of the time.
The 80/20 principle is a valid principle, but once you've got your head around what it's all about you don't need to listen to endless examples and a lot of repetition.
An interesting take on using the 80:20 rule or pareto principle in business and for personal success, The author presents the idea clearly and shows its effectiveness and while I don't agree with all his ideas I got a lot from it.
Good ideas well presented and worth listening to again
Good to mull over, but not earth-shattering in its content; lots of common sense. Worth having in the back of your mind
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.