I really loved this story and there's only one bad thing about it...I wish it was longer. I'm a fan of the Outlander series...the first two books in the series are definitely my two all time favorite books. I loved seeing a bunch of minor characters from the second book and seeing different view points from that time as those characters think back to the events that occurred in Dragonfly in Amber. There's no Jamie and Claire in this book but they are referenced a bunch of times and you see the impact they had on others. The two main characters in this book, Michael and Joan, and very interesting and I enjoyed reading about them. I just wish I had been able to spend MORE time with them...those 4 hours went by so fast.
Davina Porter is an excellent narrator. I always enjoy listening to her and her voice definitely suits the Outlander stories and works well with Diana Gabaldon's writing style. I definitely recommend this to anyone but definitely to fans of the Outlander series.
I bought this book a couple of months ago but never got around to listening to it. That changed when I had a day off work this week and was looking for something to lose myself in for a day. This was PERFECT!
The story completely swept me away. It wasn't "scary"...but it definitely had elements of creepiness that I enjoyed. I have yet to find a book that I really found scary...and I will keep looking...but this was just a great story that I really lost myself in. I listened to it start to finish in one day.
The narrator for this was excellent. I actually started to listen to this book after trying to start two other books that I turned off in less than a minute because I did not like the narrators.
I've seen the movie and liked it...but I thought this book was just okay.
Also wanted to mention something I found quite annoying...the announcement throughout that this was the "End of Disc (insert number)". Any time I felt like I was losing myself in the story...this ripped me out of it. I find that quite frustrating with an audiobook...even if the book is on CD as opposed to download...why on earth would you need an announcement that you reached the end of the disc?
I really enjoyed this book a lot. It is a lot of fun and that's really what I wanted. There are some books that are great "literature" and then there are just some books that are great fun. This one falls into the latter category for sure. It is NOT going to be for everyone but if you go in prepared for the style of the book then you should be fine. It is NOT written in the style of pride and prejudice and is more of a "trashy romance" in many ways. BUT...the characters in my opinion stay true to who they were in the original...you just learn more about them and that makes them more real to me. I love seeing my favorite couple so happy and who WOULDN'T want such a happy marriage? I loved everything about this book and I hope that the next two books are recorded and become available on audible too.
I want to start out by saying that I REALLY liked the first two books in this series. This last one sort of left me upset.
Unlike many reviewers I actually enjoyed the beginning and middle of this book. I guess I didn't find any of the stuff going on boring and didn't feel that it dragged. I really got into the characters of this series so it was okay with me that a lot of "stuff" didn't happen...it was an interesting story.
It was the ending that just really left me annoyed...and there were several things about it that bothered me.
1. I liked the trial. I enjoyed watching Lisbeth's lawyer rip apart the case against her client...that was very entertaining. Admittedly...pretty predictable...but still entertaining.
2. I hated the resolution with Lisbeth's brother. What the heck? It was so forced feeling and not satisfactory. Just very blah and not worthy of everything else that happens and builds up to this point.
3. I REALLY hated that absolutely nothing happened with regards to Lisbeth's sister. Why did she even have a twin? Okay...so the author has died and maybe he had plans for a future book...but he literally did NOTHING with this storyline and it was completely pointless for her to have a sister and for it to be mentioned at all since it had no point.
4. I really REALLY hated the way things were resolved between Lisbeth and Mikhail. Seriously...you just fall out of love with someone like that and it's all fine and dandy? That just left a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying they needed to end up together...but for there to be a statement that she just didn't love him anymore...just dumb. Lazy.
5. Mikhail's relationship with Figorola...umm...what was the point of this? Seriously...cut out this character (or the part with her having a relationship with Mikhail)...cut out all mention of Lisbeth's twin...take that amount of storyline and develop something more interesting with Lisbeth's brother and concluding that storyline. I think Mikhail's relationship issues with women have been clearly established in the other books. I would not have minded this as part of the story if the relationship DID anything for the story or to develop the characters...but it didn't. Same old same old and boring.
I waited a while to write this review (a couple weeks) but I just felt compelled to write it. I don't think I would listen to this one again. The first and second books...probably...but not this one. I was just too upset and unfulfilled with the ending. I would have rather things were left uncompleted and then you could imagine for yourself what happened afterwards. But for things to be tidied up at the end the way they were just made me very upset because I was so invested in the characters and what was happening to them. These books really for me were not so much plot driven as character driven and this ending was just such a shame...especially since there will be no further redeeming works to make it all better.
I bought this as a part of a buy one get one classics sale. I am glad that I purchased it but also glad that it was only a half credit. There are two narrators and they are both okay...but the editing was fairly annoying and the long pauses and odd breaks really took me out of the story. If you can look past that though it's still a pretty interesting (if dark) story.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed listening to this book...much more than I remember liking it reading it when it first came out. But there are some serious editing problems with this audiobook. The readers are excellent but many times throughout the book, several lines will repeat and it really takes you out of the story. I've listened to books that had an occassional glitch and you just move on but with the number of times this happened it just got annoying after a while.
I was SO excited when I saw that this was a continuation of the Last Vampire series that I love. I didn't think, with the ending of the last book in that series, that it would ever continue but that was explained away in a way that worked well enough and did not distract from the current story. My only probelm with this book was that I wished it was longer. I'm also not a fan of the new title (Thirst) but as that does not affect the story itself it's only a minor annoyance. I look forward to listening to the next one.
I bought this on a whim and I am so happy that I did. Growing up, Gone with the Wind was my favorite movie. I read the book when I was in 7th or 8th grade and I remember liking it but not as much as the movie. Now that I am older I can appreciate a lot of the things that are in the book that are not in the movie more than I could when I was younger. LOVED listening to this book and felt very immersed in the story. I thought the reader did a great job and I really just lost myself while listening to this.
Dragonfly in Amber is probably my favorite book in the Outlander series. The characters in this book are amazing and the narrator is fantastic. I love the entire series...but books one and two are hands down my favorites and I have read them over and over again. Davina Porter is a perfect narrator for these books and I love being able to listen to my favorite books read by such an excellent reader. Very easy on the ears. I recommend this series to everyone and this book in particular is amazing!
Report Inappropriate Content