I would recommend the entire series, read by Simon Vance, to anyone who desires:
1. A good series of stories - not one less than the other
2. Characters you'd know if you met on the street
3. Characters you learn to love, and the others you learn to understand
4. Stories that educate re: history, natural philosophy, and human nature, painlessly
5. Characters you want to emulate - no more
Two, no, three - wait a minute, there were four. Uh oh - I loved them all
The series is rife with humorous exchanges between Jack Aubrey and his best friend Stephen Maturine - all will leave you grinning and make you want to be a better friend yourself.
Yes - I laughed and cried. Only extreme reaction is sorrow when the series ended.
Patrick O'Brian was a genius
Simon Vance is the best narrator on the planet
Report Inappropriate Content