Excellent book from some of the best business men in the world. "Execution" gives very good insights about building company success, but also developing leadership and ensuring personal success. When one of the best CEOs in the world talks about strategy, execution and results, you should listen. If you are a manager, there's no good excuse for you not to listen to this program.
I was very excited about this book's topic. I thought the concept was great. However, almost all these "boss interviews" focus on topics like mergers and acquisitions, board talks, and other topics that won't help middle managers. There are a few good comments and insights about personal achievements and business success stories. However, unless you are a member of the "C-suite" (CEO, CFO, etc), you will find this book entertaining at best.
The Jack Welch interview was the best one - but I had already read "Straight from the Gut" and "Winning", two excellent books I highly recommend becuase they are eventually much more insightful and inspiring than "Boss Talk".
Brian Tracy's fast-paced, entertaining style keeps the reader interested and focused. Listening to the 10 hours of this program was a pleasure. The first hour was a bit disappointing, but the rest of the program was filled with very useful tips on negotiation, sales, self-motivation, education, goal setting and many other topics to help you improve your effectiveness. I gave "Success Mastery" a 5-star rating because it is entertaining and because some of the advice helped me become significantly more effective.
The best advice from this audio book was to think about your goals and WRITE them down. I found this to be very powerful indeed: this helps you to creatively come up with 10-20 ways to achieve your personal goals, set deadlines and ultimately dramatically increase your chances to reach your goals. Very simple, but very effective. Brian Tracy talks about a study performed at Yale where they found out that the 3% of students that had written down their goals when they were at University were worth more 20 years down the road than the remaining 97% combined. He also mentions that a similar study at Harvard yielded similar results.
I ended up writing down a lot of notes.
Jack Welch, CEO of General Electric, talks about a wide range of topics, including career development (promotions, advancements, personal life), management techniques, business best practises, or globalisation of the economy and how to deal with it/take advantage of it.
Every middle or top manager will benefit from his numerous insights. Jack Welch is always short and to the point. This makes "Winning" an entertaining read with a lot of useful tips one after the other. From effectively managing your people to understanding the benefits of six-sigma, you will be satisfied with the broad range of topics discussed in the book.
The only chapter i fast-forwarded was the chapter about mergers and acquisitions, but only because i feel i don't need this information right now in my career.
When a book writer has a 20-year experience as a CEO of a major American incorporation... you read/listen!
Report Inappropriate Content