This is a new author to me, so I was a bit hesitant at first. I'm glad I decided to listen, as it was very enjoyable.
Also, I noticed quite a few similarities between this audio book, and the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima". A bit interesting, simply because of the number of times I recognized something in common between both stories (which both took place during WWII).
A great listen if you haven't already purchased it!
I have lost a bit of my sanity in the last 8+ hours and don't think I can continue. I think it's the first time I've ever dropped a story. I cannot understand how an established author (what's her name) can possibly get by with writing essentially 20 pages of content, with another 400 pages of repetitive dribble-drabble, of which can be summarized in the following ways:
1) Acheron was born - and is cursed, of which we're reminded constantly.
2) Acheron is sexually abused, beaten, and humiliated, of which we're intimately privy to every 20 minutes.
3) Acheron begins to trust sister, Risa. Sister is INCREDIBLY NAIVE AND STUPID (and I really cannot emphasize this enough), yet Acheron keeps falling for her good-intentioned help. And right after he does so, Acheron is beaten severely and pleas for death. Sister is of course indignant.
4) Repeat #3 about 30 times to the utter delight of all listeners.
5) Acheron begins trusting the Goddess Artemis. Artemis is incredibly childish and temperamental for a Goddess, and yet Acheron KEEPS trusting and falling in love with her. And of course, b/c of this, Acheron is beaten severely and pleas for death.
6) Repeat #5 about 10 times.
7) Acheron calls legitimate father "father", and legitimate brother "brother" and gets beaten severely for it roughly 40 times throughout the past 8 hours.
8) Repeat all of these steps a few more times, intertwined with a good bit of heterosexual and homosexual scenes, and you've got a great 8+ hours ahead of you.
The point I got during this time: Acheron suffered a great deal. But now, I've suffered even more.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.