Get rid of the Scooby Doo plot and overt political opinions. The violent, morally ambivalent Pietro from Beat the Reaper was way more interesting than the main character (allegedly the same guy) of this book. The rural setting was wrong. Pietro is an urban hero.
Them or Us by David Moody
The performance was good.
The banter was occasionally amusing.
Hopefully just a poor sophomore attempt.
Straight ahead, crisp storytelling. It was filled with creative mayhem, imaginative tech and cool characters. Even the bad guys were awesome and interesting.
Asher's characters are a lot like the warrior characters in Williams Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy. Nobody will ever be as cool as Molly Millions, but a lot of characters in this book come close. In particular a certain war drone AI named sniper.
Clean narration. Doesn't go overboard creating voices
My thought on finishing this book was that was,
More Neal Asher, Please!
Give up on creating female voices. I would have given five stars for the performance had he not done so poorly with the female voices.
Disappointed. I was looking for something like The Stand. I wasn't looking for a lot of originality, but the writing was so sloppy as to spoil my experience.
Plotting was poor. Obvious foreshadowing was frequently not followed up by the author. Based on the frequent descriptions in the book it appears that the author believes 90 percent of the people in the world have blue eyes. The other 10 percent have
I had a very hard time suspending disbelief while listening to this story. Believe it or, not it was the Clanker tech that disappointed. Really, the Germans thought a walker was more efficient than a wheeled or tracked vehicle. I'd have bought it if they had WWII messershmitts and and panzers 40 years early.
I read this as a young adult. The satire still holds up. As does the unique action. Hopefully a new generation will discover Remo Williams.
John Dies at the End was a fun read. Wry. I enjoyed the way Wong twisted all the horror and action tropes. I actually laughed a couple of times.
The premise is so broad as to make it impossible to suspend disbelief. The characters are one dimensional and generic.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.