Warning: This review contains spoilers.
About 8 months ago I decided I would run a marathon and I needed a good long series to listen to while I was training. This series did a great job for that. It almost worked out perfectly since I finished all 13 books and the prequel a week before this book came out. And although the series has had its ups and downs, overall I have enjoyed it.
This ending was good and it resolved all the main issues. Yes, there are a lot of battle scenes but I enjoyed those scenes (and there are a lot of them… it is the last battle after all). It really was good and I found myself lying awake for hours listening to the book or thinking about it. This was probably the fastest I have ever listed to a book of this size before. I enjoyed seeing most of the forsaken kick the bucket, (especially LAN and his awesomeness, now we finally know who the best swordsman is in all of RandLand). There were just some awesome scenes that I was glad to see them finally be resolved.
That all being said, here are some of my disappointments.
- I was disappointed with Rand’s battle scenes, the dark one seemed too easy to defeat in the end. Plus Fain was killed really easily in the end. It was like oh hey, we need to kill fain still, let’s throw him into the plot.
- Also, the scene I was looking forward to most in this series was when Tuon would speak to Hawkwing but it didn’t happen (it was just implied that it had happened but we don’t know anything about it).
- Plus, It was never resolved if Tuon would stop enslaving the channalers of their land. Surely, all her people now have seen that channelers don’t have to be leashed. In fact, leashing channelers limits them from creating a circle with each other. It seems like if the sanchen fought other channelers in the future that would be an easy way to cause their downfall.
-Plus, what the heck kind of powers did Rand get in the end of the book? It is like the dream world powers but in the real world? Instead of the true power it is the light power? Is he going to age like normal or not? Is he still going to get together with his women?
- I didn’t like how major characters in the previous books (Suan, bashier for example), don’t get the time they deserve to get a proper ending. At least show their deaths. I know the book is long but it is not like the wheel of time fans are going to shy away from a long book.
- I know it is a little bit cheesy, but I like a more detailed ending. Something where they could have showed the future would have been nice (like the harry potter ending, but done better). From what I have read they are never going to write another wheel of time book.
Anyway, again I stress that I liked the book ending. It was satisfying ending, but if you get this far in the series you want to know every detail about everything. (did the tinkers ever find their song?). Farewell wheel of time. Maybe one day I will dedicate the 400 + hours and listen to this series again.
Great book. So much fun that after I listened to it I listened the whole thing again at 3x the speed. I read that the rights to turn this book into a movie have already been bought. I can't wait until they make this into a movie. It will be awesome.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.