Just too much Hollywood type hype here. In good conscience I cannot recommend this listen.
No, I thought I might enjoy the listen as I am an outdoor person.
Chandler could have brushed up on his pronounciation a bit more.
Story line wasn't bad, just presented in an unrealistic tone.
I've listened to several Joe Pickett books, all of them very good to great, but this one is the best! Also, I wasn't familiar with the series and therefore listed to the most recent book first. I loved the characters, setting and story. I worried however that my enjoyment of the previous books would be diminished since I started with the most recent. I have not found this to be the case. I've enjoyed all of them, and didn't listen in any particular order.
This book didn't disappoint. It terrified at times. The only complaint I ever have about CJ Box is the language his Characters use, but the story drives you on, no matter what. Love Joe Pickett-He is someone to admire!!
I am so hooked on his books! They are fantastic as audio books. before you know it you're at your destination when you're traveling while listening.
Love Sci-Fi, country western mysteries and JD Robb
He develops all of his characters throughout this series.
This one was hard to guess what was going to happen or even what was really happening.
David has the perfect voice for the characters especially Nate.
You're going to love it!
I listen to audio books while working.
We listened to the first book, and jumped to this one because we'd bought it awhile back on sale. I so want to love this author, but probably won't buy another book unless on sale. The problems:
1) Box needs a good editor. An editor should have caught the amazing number of times Pickett grunts, and the intense repetition of certain areas over and over and over again.
2) In the first book we excused it, but this time I have to say it. I don't get the marriage. Perhaps Box isn't married and so doesn't have a grasp on what a good wife does or doesn't do? One minute the she's snarkie, next minute cares, next minute after an unbelievable disaster (which would make any wife ask about that first -- unless she is divorcing the arse) she bitches that he doesn't ask her how she is?
3) Joe also comes off stupid, dim-witted, then bright -- and this is not a complex character. He should be salt-of-the-earth.
4) Animal gore for no apparent reason.
5) He totally does not get kids, either doesn't have them or doesn't know them. He turns Joe, who is portrayed as a pretty good father, into an idiot with one child cahracter, out of character. He doesn't care so much that this child's life is not going to be okay. It is crucial in this book, and what he does is mess up a kid totally.