I felt like I was listening to book poorly writen by a 15yr old.
It was very mediocre.
Its romance plus a very sexist version of BD and SM
Doing a bad version of the male voice
The content was sexist but fine if that is what you are into but the overall writing was poor.
Just someone who likes a little bit of everything but mostly Sci-Fi/fantasy & Mystery Thrillers. I love Audiobooks because it makes whatever project I'm working on a little more enjoyable. I only wish I could leave reviews on books that I didn't get from Audible..I need another tb....
There is plenty of Erotica out there that is NOT full of cliches that actually has a story and the characters are likable! I tried to finish the series but just could not listen to one more sentence with "MINE, all mine" or "Oh my!" or "I love him so much" and last but not least his poor, poor "Itchy Palm"
I'm not offended by the sex, in fact one of my all time favorite series is "Kushiels Dart" and many found it offensive. However, there was at least a point to it and in the context of the story it made sense... but this was just poorly written with unlikable characters and no story line....
These days there is so much Erotica out there it makes no sense to me why this has gained so much attention... If it's just the erotica, then check out some of Laurell K. Hamiltons books, or Lora Leigh, Kresley Cole, Larissa Ione, Megan Hart and even Anne Rice.
In regards to the narrator she did a fine job given what she had to work with, my one drawback to her was that she didn't sound a day over 15 and that was just a bit too, too much....
I bought this book bc it was on the best seller list and someone told me it was really good. I was curious as to what the fuss was all about. Now, I know... haha.
Here's a piece of advice: Just because its on best seller lists, don't go around telling your co-workers or people at your church that this is a good book!!! They will read it and think you are a freak.
Ok, why I didn't care for the audiobook/book:
- First, the narrator, Becca Batoe, makes Christian Grey and Anastasia Steel sound like school kids who popped right of Valley High... It was distracting and conflicted with the characters roles. They are supposed to be intelligent successful people... A "Like Totall-ay OMG" voice just doesn't reflect that image...
- Second, sex scenes in books just don't interest me... That's all this book has in it... I felt like after I skipped over all the sex stuff, there really wasn't a lot of substance to the story... My guess is the sex is the substance! "Like OMG, My Bad!". hehe.
Why I gave it 2 stars:
- For the Story Idea: The "Idea" of the rich troubled CEO, Christian Grey, meeting the beautiful intelligent college grad, Anastasia Steel, in a chance encounter; is hot. The "Idea" has a lot of potential for a good romance.
As it stands now, the story stinks.
She just wasn't the right person for the part.
- Not really...
- It's obviously directed toward a certain type of people. They probably think this story is great the way it is.
- The "Idea" of the rich troubled CEO, Christian Grey, meeting the beautiful intelligent college grad, Anastasia Steel, in a chance encounter; has potential for a good romance. In order for it to have any redeeming qualities, I think the whole story would have to be re-written from scratch.
This story would have been better had there been more lively, interesting characters. There is too much time hearing the voice of a vapid, inexperienced, somewhat ditzy young woman who is the toy of an empty, sullen, perverted old man.
The author could have considered giving more insight into other aspects of the character's lives rather than focusing solely on their abusive relationship.
Listening to this narrator is clear the worst part of the experience. It is like hearing a thin voice bar girl squeak out the dumbest boyfriend story ever. Hearing her channel the voice of male characters is particularly grating and makes those characters sound like Saturday Night Live cartoons.
I spent most of the time listening with a great deal of irritation, mostly because the main character is so dumb.
Dont think anything will work
Not sure just hope its not like this
The narrator was fine
Anger this book was not sexie at all not a turn on
I will not listen to the 2nd part
Marion J. Wong
Sounds like an old man molesting a young naive girl.
So far I am not being entertained at all.
I don't regret getting this book, it was a lovely summer read. The writing is repetitive, non-inspiring. The love making/sex scenes - yeah, they're pretty hot and descriptive. I don't usually listen to Fiction so this was a first for me. Took a bit to get used to the narrator, Becca Battoe, by the third book I think I managed it, but then by the third book I was becoming bored even with the sex scenes!
Predictable on all levels. But if you enjoy the Harlequin Romance type books, you'll love it.
Sexiness of it
Yes, to finish the story
Amateur writing and lacks in profound literacy. Redundant words and predictable story-line takes away from the emotional attachment.
Designer. Aviation Enthusiast. Fitness Instructor. Love books. Prefer long series with happy endings in mystery, comedy, fantasy, & romance.
The story was good.
I listened to all three books
I was stuck on it straight through
Love the narrator