I think the thought behind this book was unbelievable. The story itself is amazing and captures this amazing world that you can't help but wish you were even a small part of. It's so odd how the entire story is in black and white but the visions portrayed are anything but drab. It sounds so beautiful and colorful. I think I would have been happy with a little more character development, but overall I did love the book.
I was not captured by the characters personalities and the choices they made. I was also not that intrigued by the description of the magical tricks that they did. The types of relationships and development of them were odd and not realistic.
I have not yet read the print version, but was delighted in the telling by Jim Dale. This story is meant to be listened to. You will better understand why I think this if you listen to the final conversation in the book.
I loved being swept away by the circus's attractions. Each tent is so creative and artistic in design. The descriptions of the elements are so sensory and sensual. You can see, smell, hear, taste and feel as if you are in a dream. The artistic alchemy of paper, words, fire, ice, scent, and clockwork on a black and white striped stage is pure genius! Bravo! Rarely does the backdrop of a story become its own character so well as does The Night Circus.
I have not.
I loved the moments when Poppet's fire red hair flies about in the breeze in contrast with the starkness of the black and white. I loved the way Bailey can not resist her when it does. The romance between each couple is so sweet, so passionate, so Victorian.
I am certain to listen to this many more times. I can not wait to discover all the secrets of the circus that I have not yet realized. I can not wait to find all the hidden meaning and symbolism, and breadth of detail in the tents. I have become a Reveur!
I wouldn't listen to it again so no not well spent.
I am not sure what genre this was trying to be so I can't say that it did.
The end because it was over. It wasn't a bad ending and the book would have been fine if the author didn't use a few graphic description of a father commanding his daughter to physically mar herself and the references on the side of a character having many encounters with people of both genders and the use of harsh profanity twice. There is also no good or evil/right or wrong just things happening that people like or don't.
No it was all wrapped up at the end there are no unanswered questions and no dilemmas left to solve.
I thought this was going to be something I might be able to listen to with my family from the reviews but it isn't. It deals with some mature themes and they are not alluded to anywhere in the books description. The story does drag on and the magic is never really explained it serves more as background for a romance between two people who are supposed to be enemies to the death but instead fall in love and try to find away to stay together.
this book was so discriptive you could practically see the circus in front of you. do not pass this book up it is amazing.
This ranks in the middle. Does not stick out as anything special.
I have not listened to any of her books.
I just love listening to Jim's voice! Although the Harry Potter books are amazing alone, they were enhanced by having Jim read them. I actually searched for books he read and that is how I decided to buy The Night Circus.
I have no idea...?
I was not sure about this book and while it was pretty good, it was nothing special that captivated my interest. I generally listen to books on my Kindle while I drive places. This book didn't pull me into the story line and I delayed listening to it because I didn't feel tied to the characters. I'm not sure if that's because this is a 13+ hour book or because the story bounced between characters and dates. Not sure if reading this as an ebook would have resulted in a different opinion?
I have not read the print version.
It is not like any other book that I have ever read.
The Night Circus is perfect.
I would definitely recommend this book.
Straight scoop: 95% of the book is about describing all the "wonderful" tents in the circus which only leaves 5% dedicated to an actual story and that story itself is long and dragged out.
The descriptive narrative of the story.
His pacing and vocal quality.
Chloe, she is multifaceted.
Wonderful display of methafores. Celia and Marco connection and relationship is pure magic. Jim Dale as the narrador also a major plus.