This my second time reading this title. I started with the first book in Lost Fleet series. Starting the story at the beginning made the understanding of this book much better and overall the experience was more entertaining.
The relationship of Admiral Geary and Captain Dejouny needs more development to make it a realistic part of the story rather than a kind of ongoing buddy relationship instead of a marriage. This is military scifi though so perhaps a real male female relationship is not necessary. Jack Campell did develop the relationship between Admiral Geary and Co President Reoun. The narrator does a great job with a all the voices clearly representing different characters. Definitely enjoy this Author and Narrator.
I fell in love with the narrator from the Remaining series and decided to give this a go because of him. It was good enough to buy the second installment immediately after the first was over.
Captain John "Blackjack" Geary's adventure continues! The way an alien species is portrayed in this series is really creative. Also the underlying events that will unfold later are shown here. Good read and better listen.
I'm a fanboy for Hemry/Campbell, mostly because I think I believe his vision of the future. His explanations of humanity's first contact with Xeno society is rife with believable enigma(that's a pun, sorta). A great companion the the original series
This story could be half the length if it didn't repeat half of the things that were in the previous books. This one is nothing new, same old stupid attempts at making political maneuvering seem important but you already know that Admiral Geary will find a 'honorable' way to twist the situation to his advantage but only after he tells himself that he can't or he doesn't know how about twenty times. Geary and his new wife continue to beat themselves up about their feelings for one another as if they didn't already get married. Basic information is repeated again and again as if we the readers were completely unaware of what already happened. Geary Caltains continue to act stupid and undisciplined even though he's shown him self to be more than competent to lead them, you just want Geary to get up and punch the stupid idiots but that doesn't happen because Geary refuses to act unless it's within orders. The only good parts of the story are the brief but intense battle scenes but other than that it's mostly previous plots rehashed in a not so new way. I was hoping that the start of this new but continuing series would be better but that was silly. It's not worth the time let alone the money for you to buy this book. Check out something else is my suggestion.
The "Ancestors" thing was REALLY overdone & got very irritating. that was the main flaw - seemed like the author was trying to be spiritual without having a God figure in there. it here than that, it wasn't bad. a long way from the best I've listened to, but not too bad.
The least helpful reviewer on audible.
I consider this the 7th installment of The Lost Fleet series. It picks up pretty much right where Victorious left off. It has the exact same characters and moves forward with the exact same plot line.
I am developing a love/hate relationship with this series.
1. I hate the way Campbell keeps repeating the same stuff over and over until I want to scream, but I love the adventure of exploring this universe with the fleet.
2. I hate the way Campbell constantly tells you how the characters are feeling instead of showing you through their actions, but I love the power struggles between the different groups. (What is that devious government up to?)
3. I love the battle sequences, but I hate the way Campbell lists Evey battleship in the fleet ad nauseam.
4. I love the characters. I really do. However, I hate the way the heros are perfect. They never do anything wrong... and I want to puke every time they talk about how honorable they are.
5. I love the mysterious alien race. I find them intriguing. I want to know more about them, but I hate... actually, I have no hated counterpart here. I love this whole part of the story.
After that last book I was loosing interest in this whole series. After this one I have a renewed interest. I shall be sailing the universe with admiral Geary again in the future.