Great & lucid explanation of the physics and an extremely humbling reminder if of human insignificance. Both individually & as a species.
it was ok ,,a lot about the scientists not enough about the science
I enjoyed this look into the world of Cosmology, Theoretical Physics and Astronomy. The politics were interesting, illuminating and, thank goodness, ultimately not all that important to the discoveries made.
This is a wonderful book that tells the history of Cosmology, what the scientist know & especially how they know what they know about the universe...Which is absolutely fascinating!
This book should be read by all the Christians & other religious people who claim scientist have no way of knowing the things they claim, scientist just guess or make things up to debunk religion, etc.
Just to be clear this book is NOT a science vs religion book at all...I am simply pointing out the fact that religious people who think & have been taught that science is just opinion, especially American Christians, should sit down & read this book if they are interested in knowing the truth about how science works. And of course knowing what our current understanding of the universe is & yes the areas where we know very little.
I'm sorry, this is not a book about "Dark Matter" or "Dark Energy", or even "The 4% Universe". The only part of the title that gives a hint as to what this book is about is the "Race to Discover..." part, but even that is making it sound more interesting than it is.
What this really is, is a dull account of how a lot of scientists haggled and fought over who'd get the credit for various discoveries. It's exceedingly dull. If you're interested in the discoveries themselves, and in learning interested and wonderful facts about our universe, read something by Brian Greene or Stephen Hawking or Leonard Mlodinow. If you haven't yet read everything Carl Sagan wrote, then read one of those. Only read this if you want to know how prideful, self-important scientists fought each other over who got the credit.
I persevered with audiobook
I would have given up if it was the book itself
too long drawn out, repeated from different people's perspective
Succinct, Comprehensive, Comprehensible
The description of how the particle physicists overcame the resistance of the old line astronomers to gain funding and telescope time to prove their theories. Particularly gratifying was the discovery that the cosmic expansion is not slowing down as the old guard believed was inevitable but accelerating.
He did not try to characterize the voices of the various people involved but presented it straight-forward as if you were reading it yourself.
There's more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies.
This is an engaging and captivating story of how some of the most cherished beliefs of the past were undermined and the discovery process and dedication expended in launching a new paradigm.
I'm retired....I love to walk, bike and "read" interesting stories.... I love discussing literature...
How do you talk about a subject with which you only know 4% of the background information. With that limitation, the author did a remarkable job of explaining the present state of understanding. We will not understand the other 96% until humankind undergoes a remarkable and complete evolution of thought. It could be a while so don't hold your breath.
There is no science in this book but rather stories of science. But the author and the narrator managed to keep me engaged and entertained. it brought me up to speed with the latest frontier of physics(astrophysics, cosmology and dark matter) the story could had ended at the end of the announcement of the acceleration of the universe and it would had been the perfect ending with just the right amount of suspense. but then this isn't exactly a detective novel. the last few chapters 9-12 were a drag but he managed to closed it out better. Overall, a great story AND it really happened AND also these findings have so much influence over our understanding of universe.
Honestly, this was my first ever audio book and I really liked it. I would recommend to any physics or science enthusiast out there.