I love books! Audiobooks take stories to the next level. I'm obsessed with Audible and will try to rate all of my books. Happy Listening! ;)
Lisa Kleypas is one of the best historical romance authors. A well written book with lots of intrigue and a well developed hate to love relationship. Most of the book I was wondering how it would end and I appreciated that it was actually not predictable at all. Add to that, the BEST historical romance narrator I've ever listened to Mrs. Rosalyn Landor, and you have hours of entertainment. Totally worth a credit.
I loved the way the Alex and Lilly were both such strong characters. Their arguments and eventual deep love was lovely to listen to and I enjoyed every minute. The plot is more interesting than the usual "hero must save heroine" plots of many romances, and the ending brought a smile as I listened. I definitely recommend this one!
This story is where Derek Craven and his elite gambling hell are first introduced. While this is the story of "lawless Lily" and Lord Raiford, Craven plays a major role and is quite a complex character in his own right.
I loved Lily's story. She is a strong, valiant, eccentric young woman who has had a lot of heartache and her actions and motivations are completely true to character. There are a lot of great plot twists as her problems are gradually resolved and I love to "re-read" this audio often.
The author did a great job of portraying Derek's cockney accent, with the authentic Th's mixed up with F's and V's (fink = think, wiv = with for example) plus all that great slang. Derek crawled his way out of the gutters of the Rookery in London and what he has accomplished is due solely to the the strength of his personality.
I have a favorite playlist I think you might enjoy:
1. Then Came You - Lily, Alex and Derek Craven, and we meet Derek's competitor, ex prize fighter Ivo Jenner. A favorite side character is the club's factotum, Worthy.
2. Dreaming of You - Derek Craven and Sara Fielding, and more of Lily, Alex, Worthy and Ivo Jenner.
3. Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, Book 3) - Ivo Jenner's daughter, Evie, and Lord St. Vincent. She elopes with St. Vincent to escape her mother's family and spend time with her lower-class dying father. We meet Cam Rohan, the gypsy factotum of Jenner's elite gambling hell. (You could also insert book 2, It Happened One Autumn where St. Vincent is introduced, ahead of this one, but the flow from the earlier stories is better without it.) Cam Rohan is a good friend of Evie's and a very interesting character.
4. Mine Till Midnight (Hathaways, Book 1) - gypsy Cam Rohan and Amelia Hathaway. St. Vincent, Marcus and Lillian from the Wallflower series are major supporting characters. Cam is a major character throughout the rest of the Hathaway series.
5. Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaways, Book 2) - Win Hathaway and Kev Merripen, a gypsy adopted into their famly as a child.
6. Tempt Me at Twilight (Hathaways, Book 3) - We go back to the amazing Rutledge hotel, where the Bowmans and Simon Hunt from the Wallflower series used to stay. Harry Rutledge is entranced by Poppy Hathaway. Love this quirky family and especially Beatrix' pet ferret, Dodger, and her hedgehog, Medusa!
7. Married by Morning (Hathaways, Book 4) - Cam's brother-in-law, Leo Hathaway and the younger girls' companion, Catherine Marks. More of the Rutledge hotel also, and the ferret plays a major role!
8. Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) - The conclusion with Beatrix Hathaway and her pen pal, Captain Phelan, along with her animal menagerie!
Let me know if you try this custom playlist, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
My first Lisa Kleypas novel, I decided to take a chance based on the praise and high ratings. Both the hero and heroine turned me off at first, she seemed smugly self-important and he just, well, smug and hateful and self-important. It didn't take too long before I was drawn in and made to care for them though, the hero especially was wonderful once he started to get over himself. I'd be wishing for my own Alex except I'm lucky enough to have one already, a modern version of course! I'm looking forward to listening to Dereck Cravens story, which will be my next purchase.
The 1st half of this book is well written and is a great story, unfortunately this is followed by a shocking amount of graphic sex in the second half.
I wish there was a rating system or some kind of warning that tells people about language, violence and sex etc so they can be aware and choose books according to their comfort level.
I know there is the comment section, but that is not always reliable, so anyone out there that is looking for a historical romance to read without graphic sex in it, this is not the book for you!!!
Rosalyn Landor has a way of make an men of the historical period as either arrogant or a dandy. It's really a great gift.
No sometimes I had to step away in the beginning becasue it was slow. By the 2nd half of the book it picks up nicely.
I usually LOVE Kleypas. I liked the hero but I just couldn't care about the heroine. I know I was supposed to feel sorry for what had happened to her but something about her behavior kept me from caring. Not my favorite.
Yes, I love a good romance and this is on the top of my list.
Love Rosalyn Landor.
Dear listener, have ever been immersed in a novel where the female character runs into a major scandal and you wonder, "How is she ever going to get out of this one?" To a novice listener the answer is always, marry the handsome yet controlling love interest right? However, Then Came You, by Lisa Kleypas will have you asking that questing over and over again throughout this compelling listen and believe me, marrying your Prince Charming or Irritating Nemesis won't solve all of the reputation ruining moments of Lilly Lawson.
Lilly Lawson, an independent woman who has earned her nickname "Lawless Lilly", does not avoid scandal. Instead she embraces it with enthusiasm to which her scandal allows her to be both admired and wanted by men. When Lilly hears of her younger sister's betrothal to the steel-hearted Lord Raiford she sets herself on mission to derail the betrothal so her sister may wed for love instead of obedience.
Alex Raiford is a complicated man with a past of love and lost, who does not take kindly to the infamous "Lilly Lawson" meddling in his affairs, and vows to punish her beyond what even her already tarnished reputation can recover, even if it means drowning in scandals by her side.
Then Came You is a creative listen with enough twists and turns to keep you engaged. Don't worry the love triangle is not the one you expect and you will eagerly log into your audible account use you next credit for the next installment- Dreaming of You. Happy Listening.
M.O.M. - manager of mayhem!
I love Kleypas! but this is not her best story or even characters...
Kleypas is a great romance writer... unique stories and great characters