This book was so eye opening. I highly recommend this knowledge-bomb! It's hard to get though parts because it can be quite depressing but power through, it's well worth it!
Every country should be so lucky as to have a history like this that punctures all the carefully concocted national myths and gives the contrary view--in Zinn's account George Washington was a wealthy landowner who fomented revolution for personal gain; Abe Lincoln believed blacks were not equal to whites and only abolished slavery out of political expediency; FDR was a staunch defender of upper-class privilege who only introduced the New Deal to defuse revolt; etc. But Zinn is not just a gadfly--his version makes sense more often than not, and furthermore, his great sense of story gives hackneyed old history new life and makes for highly enjoyable entertainment. And don't pay any attention to the quibbles about production quality--the actual reading is fine and the few technical glitches there are barely deserve mention.
A real eye-opener! This "people's history" validates thoughts that I've had since growing up the son of factory worker parents in a small Maine mill town. I'm now 68. This is a history not taught in my university history curriculum. It was recommended to me by a fellow union activist during the Kerry/Edwards campaign. It screams "Wake up America". If only the "tea partiers" would read it.
Churchill once said "History is written by the victors". Well Howard Zinn turns this on it's head by writing from the perspective of the oppressed not the "victors". He is upfront about his bias since all accounts of history have one, he has just chosen to be biased toward the oppressed and the abused not the "victors". Anyone who reads and enjoys history will enjoy this book even if you differ from his perspective it is still a remarkable chronicle of American History.
There exists no other American history book like this one. One where history is told through the eyes, ears and voices of the vanquished, not the victors. One where matters of class, power, race, gender, struggle, organizing and overcoming are central themes. One where despite America's sordid history, there remains hope when the people band together to demand basic rights and justice. One where progress is possible, and understanding our country's history is vital to that progress and our very survival. Thank you Howard Zinn, for illuminating a very long, dark path.
I read some negative comments about the narration and editing but other than a few strange pronunciations and one or two bad slices, I thought the audio version was fine.
This book tells you the details of American history that isn't taught in school. It is an excellent book. The book was written by a very liberal Communist and his far left progressive views are very prominent.
This book changed the way I view the founding of our great nation. Howard Zinn backs all of his claims and views with concrete documentation from the period. This book will tell you the peoples side of the story, not the glorified ideals that they put into modern text books. The slaves Native Americans, and women finally have their voice through Howard Zinn. I would and have recommended this book to all who want to know the peoples view of our great nation.
Very happy to have read this writing...great reading, research, very truthful and eye opening. This book should be part of every American Child's school curriculum because American History is slanted and we all benefit more knowing the actual truth.
Oddly, the best thing about this reading is to tie a correlation of how the Top 1% has never changed their tactics and the other 99% hasn't figured it out yet...and still contend and war against those that are no different than themselves...Democrats, Republicans, White, Black, Hispanic, Islam, Israeli, Russian American are all the same as long as we continue to see differences the veil will forever be over our eyes. Wake up 99%, quit thinking you are different...the Top 1% know who they are all the rest are here to support their agenda.
The history of Slavery (Both Whites and Blacks), How Native American's where treated, and lastly, Politics through the ages.
Yes, but too long to do so.
Excellent research, have told many others of this reading.