Like his other two books, Malcom Gladwell's Blink draws together a lot of disparate social science and psychology research to form interesting conclusions. At the end of this book, I'm not sure precisely what I've learned or how all the information fits together, but I was fascinated throughout. One of the nice things about this audiobook is that the narrator is the author himself, so you feel very much as if you're sitting down with him listening to him talk about various aspects of human behavior.
Not much you can really take from this book to improve your life, but it was an entertaining listen for the commute. Gives you some insight into how snap decisions are formed, how accurate they are and how they apply to business and society. I really enjoyed this.
Experts are experts because, after much first hand experience with a subject, they know where to look for details. These details have been internalised in such way that it takes no time to make a snap judgement. The rest of the book are stories going over the same premise over and over.
I read the first few reviews on this book and noticed two main camps. There's those people who note that the author doesn't stick to a central message. And then there's the "this book is great" camp. I am definitely a member of the former one.
Malcolm Gladwell may be good at marketing (or his marketing team is) with his catchy title and subtitle but he's not the greatest writer. His writing is all over the place touching on many themes, some seemingly related to the book's main theme and others contradicting it or even not related to it at all.
I am two thirds of the way through the book and I'm trying to decide if it's worth my while to tough it out to the end. Either way, not the worst book in the world but I wouldn't recommend it.
The author is a quirky guy. His cadence and voice are quirky too. Take it with a grain of salt and you will enjoy this thought-provoking book.
Malcolm Gladwell gives us yet another insight into the human condition. Blink explores the good, the bad, and the ugly of first impressions. It explains when we can trust our snap decisions and when we need to delve further. The author does a wonderful job of reading this wonderful book.
Generally, I was disappointed. I don't think that this book contains any profound insights or revelations. There are some interesting analogies and historical tidbits (which get a bit tired, by time they are recycled and re-referenced throughout the book). It reviewed many basic marketing and psych 101 principles on bias, cognitive dissonance, contradictions between self-perception and behaviour, and fickle consumer opinions. In the end, it offers no firm conclusions, but a lot of discussion, that is over-chewed and swished back and forth. Anyone with basic experience with marketing/psychology should give this one a miss... for the uninitiated, it might be worth the "curiosity quotient", if you get it on sale...
The book is well read by the narrator and the content is thoroughly engaging. I have enjoyed listening to this book during my morning runs. Unlike some books that want to beat you over the head with a few simple points, Gladwell offers a myriad of interesting stories that help drive the point of his book.
If nothing more, Gladwell makes a few convincing arguments in this book that offer food for thought that we can all benefit from, both at a personal level and a professional level.
People seem to either love this book or consider it a waste of time. I'm in the love it camp.
I read non-fiction almost exclusively because there just isn't time to read everything, so I'd rather focus on factual vs fantasy. I found this book fascinating, I loved all the interesting naratives, the facts, the entertaining presentation and the thoughtfullness that only an author can convey when reading his or her own work. I can't wait to listen to Gladwell's other books. I learned a lot about why people behave the way they do, especially in the first few seconds of encountering something new. This is one of those few books that I'm really glad I experienced.
The premise of this audiobook was intriguing; unfortunately, only a small percentage of the text (2% ?) directly speaks to this premise. The remaining 98% consists of painfully long, drawn-out analogies and tenuous examples.