Yes and no. This is actually a review of the first FOUR books - to be fair, the author is to blame for some of the problems here. She has a tendency to use the same metaphors, descriptions, phrases, over and over and over and over until you want to say ENOUGH ALREADY, are there no other descriptive phrases you can use? Here's a thesaurus, try using it.
And while I realize the sex is supposed to be between magical beings and therefore it's probably to be expected that some of the acts described would be - um - improbable? In some cases physically impossible?
On the other hand, the books aren't a complete waste of time - they are interesting if you like this kind of magical/erotic/urban romance/fantasy thing. And if you can get passed the issues with the narration - OMG, the issues with the narration. See below for my rant over that.
Probably not as an audiobook, simply because of the narration issues I'm going to describe below.
Get someone else to record them - pretty much ANYONE else.
1. Narrator cannot seem to maintain consistency in how she pronounces names. For the first three books, "Doyle" is pronounced how you would expect. Suddenly, in the fourth book, she begins pronouncing it "Dole" (like the pineapple brand).
2. She cannot be consistent in how she voices different characters. In the first couple, Doyle has what can only be described as a robotic, uninflected, machine-like voice - completely unappealing. Suddenly, in book 3 or 4, she switches to a Gaelic accent of some kind - which is MUCH better, but still disconcerting because of the change.
3. Learn how to pronounce Gaelic names! She pronounces "Siobhan" (which even a quick Google search tells you should be pronounced Shiv-awn) as "See-O-Bon" in one book, then switches to "See-O-Ban" in another. Neither is correct. It's mangled so badly I didn't know what character she was referring to (and I read these in Kindle format first, so I was somewhat familiar with the characters and plotlines before listening to the audiobook).
4. Pronounces "Sholto" correctly for first couple of books, then switches to "Sho-lo-to" for the next couple (what? You added a syllable that doesn't exist!)
5. Pronounces "Andais" as "An-days" (or something close to that) for the first couple of books (which is probably close to correct) but then suddenly starts pronouncing it "An-day-day-ice" (again, extra syllable that doesn't exist). A comparison example would be "Alais" - which is pronounced similar to but not quite exactly like "Alice" - Andais should be pronounced in a similar fashion.
6. She mispronounces any number of other words, to the point that it's distracting.
7. Voice characterizations are - as previously stated - inconsistent and (to my ear) inappropriate for the character.
8. Pronounces "Mistral" correctly for first couple of books (Miss-TRAL) but then switches in third or fourth book to "Mis-ter-all" - again, extra syllables that aren't there and SHOULDN'T BE INFERRED AND PRONOUNCED.
Awful, just generally awful.
No. Too much improbable sex.
Tell us about yourself! Love to listen to jazz or classical and read erotic or a good paranormal sci-fi and good narration is everything
This was my first book of Laurell K Hamilton and I loved every second of it and the rest of this series from the first to the eighth. I WILL BE VERY GLAD WHEN THE NINTH BOOK COME OUT
If you like fantasy and OMG moments then you will love this book it is a non stop of OMG what just happened or OMG no way.
I love all the characters in this book I guess one of my favorite parts is when she goes back to faire and you meet the queen for the first time. Man that is one evil bitch.
I wish they had someone else to read the book this narrator has the voice of my grandmother, and a lot of the voices sound the same. I wish that people could listen to the narrator first and see if people like the way the narrator read. This Laural Merlington should find a different job.
If this book was made in to a movie I would go see it. If they keep the storyline cause it is great. I would love to see how Hamilton see the characters.
I've got to wonder why they choose these mediocre narrators for the Laurell K Hamilton books. The one for the Anita Blake series is so bad I returned them and I love that series. This narrator, Laural Merlington is okay really it's a 2.5 star in my book. The men sound kinda funny and 1st person narration is kinda flat. The queen's voice is really good though. It's a good story, a better series, and for 3.99 with whisperlink worth the extra for something to keep me entertained in traffic. Read it on kindle or paper though if you can.
Okay so this was a little bit of a different twist on the who Fae story lines, but what this book lacked in story it more than made up for with the sex. Good grief... my mouth dropped open several times. I will purchase the next book so I can get a little more of that!!!
I'm an audio book junky! And an avid reader! I love books mostly paranormal fantasy romance, and books that are hot and steamy and fun
I will listen to this over and over again as I love these books I have read them more than once and will now listen to them over and over!
It caught my interest at first, and I think I tried to read it years ago. After, a few chapters (maybe half way through) i just stopped caring about the book and the characters.
I'm not sure why I didn't connect with this book. I loved the author's other series.
less sex - more story
less graphic sex stuff
her voice seems to old/smokers for the character. did not seem to fit.
yes and no. not worth using up my credit. :(
Everyone has to have that "Thing They Love!" This is how I find and keep up with mine!
This book brings all the child hood fairy tales to light in such a way you will find your self remembering fairy tales and wanting to brush up on your Greek mythology. Nicely done in a modern setting.
Nurse, mom, loved to read....but now I love to listen. When I retire I hope to hear waves crashing in 1 ear and audible in the other!
Too detail oriented...I don't care what color his tie was...The action was at the end to make you continue on with the series....not if it's another 15 hours of blahhhhh!
No there are many more out there and 10 times better.....
I don't think I have heard her before....she did a good job.
Thank-ful that I got through it.....
Not interested in continuing, glad I got it at a 2 for 1 sale...