This book was very good the narrator was great. he did it perfectly. The only thing I didn't like about the book was the constant description of the labels of the clothing
Yes, it's well written, but it wasn't one of those stories that I couldn't stop listening to... I had to turn it off a couple of times, particularly toward the end when his "encounters" with the women became "more imaginative." The narrator was very good, and I did eventually finish the story, but I can't say it was a pleasant listen. It's not a fun story and it didn't make me laugh, it made me cringe and I think the author could have gotten his point across (and yeah, I get the point... the shallow YUPPIE existence, materialism, moral decay, blah blah blah... Ellis could have gotten that across without the drills and the nail guns... If you "enjoy" this book you should seek counseling.
This was one of the worst books I have ever had the misfortune of reading!!! All of the details were over the top and there was no real story it was as if the Author just vomited snob babble at ridiculous length with nothing that made a story... totally random and boring!
The story was intense and interesting though at times it seemed to drag on endlessly and never got to a point. The real downfall was the fact that there was no (spoiler alert) big day off in the end. It leaves sitting there saying...HUH????? I bought the audiobook hoping it would explain the movie and get me some sort of resolution in the end. It did give me a greater insight into Patrick Bateman but it never establishes why he started doing the things he does. You are just thrown into the book and he has always been this way with no explanation as to why. Don't get me wrong, it enjoyed it. At times when I was listening in the car I almost had to pull the car over because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. But at other times I just couldn't see the point of the information being given to me.
I still just wish there was a payoff in the end and some sort of establishing back story.
A new senior citizen, employed drive 80 miles a day. Gives me time to listen for hours every day, and I have almost stoped reading.
Of the over 400 books I have downloaded and listened to, this is undeniably the worst I have attempted to listen to. After the first download, I deleted both from my IPOD because the main character was insidiously banal for 85% of the narration, and disgustingly crude, vile and inhuman for the remaining 15%. I thought there might be something interesting or insightful in this book, I was wrong. If I had purchased the Book version, and if my parakeet had not died, I would have replaced the NY Times with this book in the bottom of my bird's cage.
wow....This book left me a bit conflicted. Be forwarned, this is the most violent and explicit book I have ever heard/read. It is a veritable autoposy dictation exercise at points. I think that part is so graphic, detailed, and so often repeated that it obscures the book, the message on the superficiality of life, or at least life in the late 80s.
It isn't that I can't "take" the violence or the sex, which often run together, its that I didn't want to, and it was so over the top horrific, leaving less than nothing to the imagination. Perhaps the violence would be sufficent in a short story format, but being pummelled over and over with it in the novel format, not to mention the fact that you just CANNOT allow someone in the next car over at a stoplight to hear much of this novel, turned me off. The violence was so horrifying, it was just too much. There were so many parts I cringed at, I had to start skipping the murder scenes, after about the 3/4 mark, just to get through the book.
This was the worst book ..... it never took
off ... too busy naming name brands ... couldn't
follow the writer....so boring I kept drifting while listening to it...finally gave up.
This is not a novel, it is fashion magazines being read aloud. I managed to get through about 2 hours before I just had to turn it off. I was very disappointed.