Finished it because I was stubborn, but honestly Ayn Rand writes so blandly. Chapters are wasted to prove things that are already understood about characters. You can see the ending coming from the half-way mark, and I couldn't wait to just put this book away and never return.
Great story line but long winded at times. I thought the first half was better than second but still held my interest. I would recommend to others who have 32 hours to kill.
I have read Atlas Shrugged a few times, via printed page as well as audio book. Due to my love of that book, I thought it was time to read Rand's 'other' book. I realize The Fountainhead was written with her love in mind but this focus on relationships overshadows the message. This combined with much more 'In one look she knew...' followed by 15 pages of reading a look, made The Fountainhead much less appealing for me.
Ousttanding book and a valuable lesson in life and happiness. i was addicted to the book and Howards life. I had to finish it, I had to see him through the end. One of the best books i have listen in Audible. Highly highly recommended
Atlas Shrugged is a historic book that has changed many peoples' personal belief system. I was hesitant to read the fountainhead fearing it would not be nearly as good as Atlas Shrugged and I was pleasantly disappointed. My fears were unfounded and in true Rand fashion she develops each character and weaves in politics, art, and objectivism all while cultivating the most unique relationships between each of the main characters.
I've listened to it many times; Christopher Hurt's performance (and of Atlas Shrugged) is excellent, as he consistently portrays the tone of the different characters in a way that fits with the book. The story speaks for itself.
Yes with some reservations. I know Ayn's books are very well regarded and I agree with much of her worldview myself but the storyline felt incredibly contrived at points. The lavish response to the inner workings of high-powered architects, even for the time period, was simply too grandiose to be believable. I followed along in order to get through the book but I found the glorification and of architects/architecture to be a distraction.
Much of the book seemed to move in slow motion with the ending suddenly lurching forward. The 2% monologue at the end was a thesis worthy of the price of admission alone but for which the listener had to languish through the other 98%.
His enunciation of character dialogue helped to more quickly understand and build a solid mental view of the characters.
Question whether I should plow through a 52 hour listen of Atlas Shrugged...