Here are the main points of the book.
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
1. Don't criticize.
2. Give honest and sincere appreciation.
3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.
✦ Six ways to make people like you
1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
3. Remember a person's name.
4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
5. Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
6. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely.
✦ Win people to your way of thinking
1. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
2. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say, "You're wrong."
3. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
4. Begin in a friendly way.
5. Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
6. Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
7. Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
9. Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
10. Appeal to the nobler motives.
11. Dramatize your ideas.
12. Throw down a challenge.
✦ Be a Leader
1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
2. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
5. Let the other person save face.
6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement.
7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
Influencer is not the book that you might think it is. If you are looking for something on how to become a change agent then this book is for you.
This book is very well researched by its Authors, they include many examples to support the concept they are talking about; Mainly how to influence change, which is broken up into different strategies and each chapter focusing on one of them. So many examples are included hence the 8 and a half hours.
The plus side of this audio book is that if you are someone who is interested in understanding people better, or you work with people, especially psychologists then this audio book is for you. Some of the stories used as examples where a certain strategy was implemented and worked were interesting to know of, some I had heard of before but not in detail.
However on the downside the book is long and can get a bit boring dragging on and on, I reached a point where I just wanted it to finish but I spend almost 1 hour going to work and 1 hour coming back so I had the time to go through the entire book. I know some of you will not be able to.
All in all the good content (especially the real world examples used) out weigh the one negative of this book, that its too long.
So if you are someone who wants to learn strategies to aid you in influencing change on an organization or community level then you will appreciate this book and what it teaches you. I have an interest in psychology so there you have it why I did not rate this book less than 4 stars.
My recommendation to who ever is thinking of getting this audio book is don't, rather buy the book and read it at your own pace.